app and device policy stops working
I have a windows XP machine, I applied the application and device policy to disable USB drivers. I have printers and scanners excluded.
This machine was working perfectly fine, no issues for at least 6 months with the same SEP policy.
I get a call stating the printer has an error, after troubleshooting it (reinstalling drivers, remove software...) and still did not work, I decide to change the USB cable.
When I replace the USB cable, the SEP policy blocks it.
Printer and workstation are the same, policy is the same.
I move the workstation to a different group without the app & device policy, and it works.
Nothing has changed on the sep side(I am the only one that has access to SEP).