Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Application Error 19913 when choosing multicast session

Posted Oct 04, 2012 06:52 PM

I have Ghost solution suite version 11.5.1.226. It is installed on Windows Server 2003 and I'm using Deploment Center in conjuction with PXE using MS-DOS bootdisk. It has been working well. But I've tried to upload/backup a image from a HP Elitebook 2170p. It is able to load to ghostcast session but when I choose Multicast it completely freezes and gives me following error.

"Application Error 19913: Unable to start TCP/IP. Can't find DHCP server."

The server is running on a static IP and it has it's own DHCP service that allocates IP to all devices that is connected to the server. It is connected to a dummy router on it's own network.

This issue does not affect my current ghosting setup with my other desktop and laptops. The NDIS driver I am using is Intel 82579LM. I've tried all version from the Intel website v17.1-17.3 without any luck. Funny thing is it is able to bind and recognize the NIC driver but upon Ghost cast session and selecting Multicast I get the error above.

As much as Symantec has wanted me to go over to their PXE Server with the 3 Com Boot Services I don't want to risk screwing anything up as this setup has worked for me. I have to actually plan a back out plan becuase this is a production server.

I have NEVER had Symantec support solve my issues for me. It's mostly through the forum and google that I've been able resolve my issue.

I am serisouly considering building a WDS server to do future imaging. I'm extremely frustrated with Ghost but all of my content is in Ghost and I cannot possibly move everything yet as their are deadlines outside of this separate project.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Application Error 19913 when choosing multicast session

Posted Oct 05, 2012 11:45 AM

The first thing I'd do is check the VID & PID of the nic against the driver files. Check you actually have enough DHCP addresses available, it may just be a coincidence that you've run out at this point.

As a last resort try connecting the NIC via a hub or small desktop switch, I have had rare cases this has made a difference.

• 3.  RE: Application Error 19913 when choosing multicast session

Posted Oct 05, 2012 01:00 PM

The VID and PID match against the driver.  It actually binds and you can see the sequence:

"loading on PCI device VEN_8086&DEV_1502&SUBSYS_181503C&REV_04 in slot 0x00C8"

Generally, when the PXE binds with the NIC then you should be good at least loading up to ghost.exe anyways via the virtual file that it is calling.  I've tried with another switch without any luck.  Waiting for support to get back to me. 

I'm not sure if it has to do with the fact that the Elitebook 2170p has a SSD drive.  I've imaged other laptops with SSD without issue.

• 4.  RE: Application Error 19913 when choosing multicast session

Posted Oct 05, 2012 01:10 PM

Then just check your DHCP scope and then try a hub or simple switch in line with the NIC.

• 5.  RE: Application Error 19913 when choosing multicast session

Posted Oct 05, 2012 03:23 PM

Nope.  I tested it with another switch.  No luck.

Weird thing if it was a network or a DHCP issue it would have not have received a DHCP address from the very beginning so that it will boot up to the menu where I have a selection of which model and driver it should bind to.  This is the same Intel NIC on my other laptops and desktops. 

• 6.  RE: Application Error 19913 when choosing multicast session

Posted Oct 05, 2012 05:08 PM

Was the other switch a different make?

I've had exactly this problem before with Altiris PXE booting and DOS. The boot gets as far as loading the DOS driver and requesting a DHCP address and stalls there.

I've fixed this twice by putting a hub in between the switch and NIC (that's how long ago it was).

Other times it was a lack of DHCP addresses.

My other recorded fixes for this problem are delete and recreate NICs on a VM, reseat if a blade or the TCPSTR may be corrupt.

• 7.  RE: Application Error 19913 when choosing multicast session

Posted Oct 05, 2012 05:46 PM

It actually gets a IP dished out by the server upon booting via PXE.  I see the IP in the DHCP lease that it gets registered.  It's when I get to the GUI of ghost and initiate a Multicast session that it hangs as it tries to look for the session. 

DHCP scope has least 100 addresses and this desktop laptop is the only one registered.  I've also cleared out any old DHCP leases.  I've tried to put a hub in between but no luck either.  I even tried to do a ghost to an external drive but ghost indicates that it will take 15hrs. 

• 8.  RE: Application Error 19913 when choosing multicast session

Posted Oct 05, 2012 06:14 PM

Do you have another of the same model?

• 9.  RE: Application Error 19913 when choosing multicast session

Posted Oct 05, 2012 06:25 PM

I have three new laptop model that uses the Intel 82579LM NDIS driver.  Elitebook 2170p, 8570p, 8570w.  All three do not work.  I wonder if it's becuase the are suppose to have a GOBI card like functionality...i.e. a built in Hotspot card that it cause this issue.

I also tried it on another hub with out any luck.

• 10.  RE: Application Error 19913 when choosing multicast session

Posted Oct 06, 2012 03:33 PM

The 82579 chipset is particularly troublesome to get working, especially on DOS, but there are many threads with working driver sources for WinPE - just type 82579 in the search engine.

Have you tried Unicast by the way?  If Unicast works but multicast doesn't, the usual reason is that the IGMP protocol is not enabled on the switches. Again, search on IGMP to view previous threads which discuss multicasting issues.