Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Applications running from a network shared folder, extremely slow after installing SEP 12.1

Posted Oct 15, 2012 02:15 PM

I have a costumer running SEP 12.1, on windows XP SP3 computers and they have many custom made aplications on visual 6, which are accesed through a shared folder on a server in their respective location.

Each computer has a mapped network drive E to that shared folder. The problem resides in the time initializing the application, on computers runing without SEP it takes up to 5 sec to run, on computers with SEP¨, it takes no less than 2 min.

Disabling SEP doesn't help, i have to stop the complete service with the command "smc -stop"

I've modified every single configuration setting on the policies, added exceptions but it just keeps scanning it. What I've noticed is that it doen't appear on applications to exclude ( and i guess this is because it's running from a mapped drive).

I hope you can help me,

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: Applications running from a network shared folder, extremely slow after installing SEP 12.1

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Oct 15, 2012 02:29 PM

Hello,

Are all the computers have the same "E" drive as mapped drive?

If yes, Exclude the "E" drive from scanning instead of providing the entire UNC path.

Check these Articles - 

Does a Full Scan scan Mapped Network Drives? http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH96284

Does SEP support UNC path AV scanning exclusions? http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH197009

Also check these Articles:

Exclusion Guidelines for Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH171061

Creating Centralized Exceptions Policies in the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager 12.1

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH183201

Hope that helps!!

• 3.  RE: Applications running from a network shared folder, extremely slow after installing SEP 12.1

Posted Oct 15, 2012 02:32 PM

Do you have the option to "Scan files on remote computers" checked?

In the Advanced Scanning and Monitoring option, how is it set to scan? Is it selected for Scan when a file is modified?

• 4.  RE: Applications running from a network shared folder, extremely slow after installing SEP 12.1

Posted Oct 15, 2012 07:30 PM

I already excluded the mapped drive, and it still behaves the same way...

• 5.  RE: Applications running from a network shared folder, extremely slow after installing SEP 12.1

Posted Oct 15, 2012 07:35 PM

It is unchecked and yes, it's set to scan when is modified.

• 6.  RE: Applications running from a network shared folder, extremely slow after installing SEP 12.1

Posted Oct 15, 2012 07:53 PM

As a test on one client, have you tried excluding E: altogether to see the result. I realise this is not ideal but just for testing purposes...

• 7.  RE: Applications running from a network shared folder, extremely slow after installing SEP 12.1

Posted Oct 15, 2012 08:16 PM

Yes I've excluded E:\ ,I even disabled auto protect,sonar and download protection. I had to stop the service for the application to work correctly.

• 8.  RE: Applications running from a network shared folder, extremely slow after installing SEP 12.1

Posted Oct 15, 2012 08:35 PM

Try removing Download Insight component.

Is this latest version, 12.1 RU1 MP1?

I would suggest opening a case with support.

• 9.  RE: Applications running from a network shared folder, extremely slow after installing SEP 12.1
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 17, 2012 12:24 PM

I found a solution, but it Implied creating a package with only antivirus and spyware protection (basic protection for servers) without sonar and download protection.

The application never appeared under applications to exclude and even after excluding the entire mapped drive didn't work.

Hope this helps someone.