Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Are there still available virus definitions for Symantec Anti-Virus 10.5?

Posted Oct 05, 2010 02:41 PM
    Hello, We have a customer who is still running Symantec AntiVirus 10.1.5.5000 / Scan engine 101.1.0.75. The Virus Definitions are dated 8/25/2010 rev.2 even after LU checks for any updates and confirms there are no other ones available. Is Symantec still releasing virus definitions for SAV? Or can I confidently indicate to this customer that he really needs to move forwards with SEP? If so...should SAV CE be able to automatically download them? Thanks!! Rudy

• 2.  RE: Are there still available virus definitions for Symantec Anti-Virus 10.5?

Posted Oct 05, 2010 03:33 PM

Symantec is still releasing definitions for SAV..

It must be a liveupdate (technical) problem on the server.

Try pasting the latest XDB file in the 7.5 folder on the SAV server

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH101518&locale=en_US

• 3.  RE: Are there still available virus definitions for Symantec Anti-Virus 10.5?

Posted Oct 08, 2010 04:12 PM

I've got an older system that manual update of the defs is failing on. I have tried copying a xdb and the vdb, following the instructions I could find to the letter, and the virus defs date is stuck. I did a complete uninstall, reboot, reinstall and tried both methods of manual update, but neither worked again. I'm now stuck at the original (5 year old!) defs set.

Program Versions               Program: 10.0.1.1000

Scan Engine: 51.1.0.15

Virus Definition File             Version: 6/15/2005 rev. 8

Any suggestions (other than change AV software) would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• 4.  RE: Are there still available virus definitions for Symantec Anti-Virus 10.5?

Posted Oct 08, 2010 04:28 PM

Is it possible to upgrade? An issue like this was fixed with MR6 MP1.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH102006&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1286569534163

• 5.  RE: Are there still available virus definitions for Symantec Anti-Virus 10.5?

Posted Oct 08, 2010 04:51 PM

If the upgrade can be applied as a downloaded file and characterized as an update, then yes. But if I have to install a new "version", the process becomes something like this... First I have to get our IT support organization to approve the change, then I have to submit the request and wait on our glacial purchasing department to order it. I then have to re-write the software security plan and resubmit it to the government for approval ......

So I would rather be laid-off. 

Is there a download that fixes this problem?

Thanks.

• 6.  RE: Are there still available virus definitions for Symantec Anti-Virus 10.5?

Posted Oct 08, 2010 05:25 PM

cfrieler, What happens if you try to update the definitions using the Intelligent Updater? (Look for 20101008-004-i32.exe or -i64.exe if a 64 bit machine.)

Unfortunately, product updates for SAV never come down through LiveUpdate.  I feel your pain for the process that you have to go through to get upgraded, but it's only fair to mention that not only is the version you're showing, 10.0.1.1000, an old build, but one for which security vulnerabilities have been identified; 10.1.9 (MR9) is the latest available build for SAV.

Rudolf, are your clients checking to Symantec LiveUpdate server, or an internal LiveUpdate server?  If the latter, ensure THAT server is up to date.

sandra

• 7.  RE: Are there still available virus definitions for Symantec Anti-Virus 10.5?

Posted Oct 08, 2010 06:40 PM

Sandra,

Sorry I didn't make it clear, but this system can not be attached to a network.

Cliff

• 8.  RE: Are there still available virus definitions for Symantec Anti-Virus 10.5?

Posted Oct 18, 2010 11:56 AM

The Intelligent Updater is the self-extracting download that you would copy to the affected machine (however you were getting the XDB/VDB there), double click and install.  Did that work for you, or was this the manual process that was failing?

I'm afraid the download you'd need would be the 10.1.9 update.

sandra