Array Migration using VxVM on Solaris VCS cluster
We lost our Unix admin a few months ago who usually administered VxVM for us and now I'm in a position where I need to migrate volumes between arrays. Unfortunately no documentation of how this was successfully achived in the past was taken so I'm looking for some help.
I've seen a number of posts that relate to this but am posting a series of questions again as I'm new to veritas.
The cluster is:
- Solaris 9
- VCS 5.0 and VxVM 5.0 MP1 two node straetched cluster
- Each node has its own storage array and zoning to the EVA and DMX in each data centre
- Qlogic HBAs and Native Sun Driver
- Current Array: HP EVA
- Target Array: EMC DMX
- Current SAN: Brocade (HP-badged)
- Target SAN: Brocade
Migration Plan (with loads of questions) is:
- EMC PowerPath has been installed for multipathing on DMX a few weeks back
- Freeze cluster in main data centre - this node to be used for migration
- Take first channel out of the current SAN fabric 1 and plug it into new SAN fabric 1 in main data centre on active, frozen node.
- Leave both channels from standby node in 2nd data centre in EVA fabrics for now
- Zone and Mask target LUNs from data cetnre 1 and 2 on single HBA in SAN fabric 1.
- Discover LUNs (cfgadm)
- DMX storage managed by PowerPath so list devices using powermt display dev=all to map devices to actual array/LUN
- Initialise disk in VxVM (vxdisksetup -i emcpower56) - repeat for all new LUNs
- Add DMX LUNs to disk groups (vxdg -g testdg adddisk testdgdmx=emcpower56) - repeat for all new LUNs
- Add plexes and mirror (vxassist -g testdg mirror testvol emcpower56)
The existing volumes have two plexes, one from each data centre each with one sub disk. Will vxassist automatically create the plex, attach it to the volume and start mirroring? Am I ok to repeat this command twice with different objects to get both new mirrors sync'ing at the same time?
- check two new plex attached to testvol (vxprint -qthg testdg testvol)
- check sync state compleeted (vxtask list)
- Disassocaite EVA plex when sync state completed (vxmend -g testdg off testvol-01; vxplex -g testdg dis testvol-01)
- Delete EVA plex (vxedit -g testdg -rf rm testvol-01)
- Unmask EVA storage and cleanup using cfgadm on both nodes
- Take second channel from active node and plug to SAN fabric 2
- rescan using qlogic driver to pick up second leg to lun
- verify with powermt display dev=all
- cable 2nd node in second data centre to both new fabrics and scan using qlogic driver
- check 2nd node using powermt display dev=all
Can the VEA GUI be used to carry out the same as the above commands that I've researched?
Thanks in advance,