Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Authentication Failure in Endpoint Protection 11.0.4 following installation of updates for Microsoft Windows SBS 2008

Posted Jun 17, 2009 01:07 AM
    Endpoint Protection was working fine but after installing the updates for Microsoft Windows SBS 2008 on a clean install, I am unable to log on to the Endpoint Protection Management console. Am getting the error message "Authentication Failure. Please try again".

Unable to see any solution of this nature on the forum and blog, I have started this thread and shall appreciate the advice of wise persons here.

Thanking you in advance.

• 2.  RE: Authentication Failure in Endpoint Protection 11.0.4 following installation of updates for Microsoft Windows SBS 2008
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 17, 2009 01:18 AM
    i believe you are using the worng user name and passpword.
    You can reset the username and password by clicking on the
    Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\Tools reset.bat. This will reset your username and password to admin and admin.

Cheers
    Pete

• 3.  RE: Authentication Failure in Endpoint Protection 11.0.4 following installation of updates for Microsoft Windows SBS 2008

Posted Jun 17, 2009 02:35 AM
    One more thing.

In case after the reset, u get an error saying that the User Account has been locked out for 20/30 minutes, dont fret.

Advance the system time by 1 hour, and apply the change. Run the RESETPASS.BET File again, login using the username: admin and /password: admin , change toe user's password, and then reset your system time back to it's orignal time. ;)

Hope this helps.

• 4.  RE: Authentication Failure in Endpoint Protection 11.0.4 following installation of updates for Microsoft Windows SBS 2008

Posted Jun 17, 2009 07:23 AM
    Thanks for all the support provided. Followed the instructions but without success as the reset batch file did not reset the password.

An engineer advised to use "admin" in lower case and not any other case and it worked with the old password.

No where it is mentioned that the user name is case sensitive. The use of user name in lower case is quite unique. Something that Symantec shall take note of.

Regards,

• 5.  RE: Authentication Failure in Endpoint Protection 11.0.4 following installation of updates for Microsoft Windows SBS 2008

Posted Jun 17, 2009 08:02 AM
    The solution was provided by pete and u should have mark his comment as Solution.  Thats not fair

• 6.  RE: Authentication Failure in Endpoint Protection 11.0.4 following installation of updates for Microsoft Windows SBS 2008

Posted Jun 17, 2009 01:18 PM
    Yeah. Thats right.

You cant mark yourself for a solution that was right under your nose and provided by another contributor! And why in gods name should anyone spell the Fine print about case sensitivity. If it had been case sensitive, Pete, or for that matter anyone here woul've metioned in CAPS.

If you are posting here, it's assumed that you are an Administrator who's been round the block. Thumbs UP to Pete.

• 7.  RE: Authentication Failure in Endpoint Protection 11.0.4 following installation of updates for Microsoft Windows SBS 2008

Posted Oct 10, 2009 03:19 AM
    In my MS SBS2008, SEP11 is working fine, but when i try to log in to Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager, the error "Authentication Failure" occurs and after three try's another error "The administrator account is locked" appears.

The solutions provided by Pete and Abshiek are not working too. Please can somebody guide me thru other options.

Thanks in advance.

• 8.  RE: Authentication Failure in Endpoint Protection 11.0.4 following installation of updates for Microsoft Windows SBS 2008

Posted Oct 10, 2009 03:30 AM

Whether you are having any other  user in SEPM? If yes try by login as that user and try to unblock this user.

• 9.  RE: Authentication Failure in Endpoint Protection 11.0.4 following installation of updates for Microsoft Windows SBS 2008

Posted Oct 10, 2009 05:01 AM
    First disable the network(If someone else is accesseing the same SEPM can create problem)....
    Then run the resetpassword tool.. You have to wait for some time... then restart the SEPM service...
    Then login... This will work for sure.....

How many SEPM do you have...
    If you have replication setup... Login to remote server with old password and change the password...
    Now replicated the servers... Once replication is finished you can login from primary server...