Video Screencast Help
Protect Your POS Environment Against Retail Data Breaches. Learn More.

Autoupgrade clients in SEP 12.1

Created: 22 Aug 2011 • Updated: 22 Aug 2011 | 3 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

In version 11 when I did an autoupgrade on a group and got to the "Package Upgrade Settings" screen, I clicked on the Upgrade Settings button and just selected what client features I wanted. I either selected the "Maintain existing client features when updating" or selected the feature set I wanted. That was all that was available on the screen.

Now in version 12 you have to set the install settings options on that same screen. This is a problem for me because I have my servers in a group and those servers have different drives on them. If the server only has a C drive then that's where it installed. A lot of our servers have a D drive and the client is installed on that drive. Some have an E drive. The problem is I can't do an autoupgrade on this group due to where Symantec is installed on each server. It was installed on each server by using an exported package. In version 11 the autoupgrade didn't care about which Client Install Settings were used for the install. Now to do an autoupgrade in version 12 I have to specify a specific Client Install Settings which won't work.

Is there a work around for this or do I have to create sub groups under my server group and seperate out the servers by which drive it was installed on?

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

Mithun Sanghavi's picture

Hello,

There is nothing to worry in your case.

Even if you have installed SEP on D drive or E drive or whatever drive, when the Auto upgrade takes place Installation of SEP automatically detects on what drive the SEP is installed and then upgrades them as required.

Incase, you do not want to take the Risk, simple move the Servers to a seperate group (of your choice or create a new one). Once they are move to a new group, you can continue with your auto upgrade. Once's the Autoupgrade is doen, simple move those Server machines back to the original group.

Also, check this Article (read it completely):  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163602

Hope that helps!!!

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant
MIM | MCSA | MCTS | STS | SSE | SSE+ | ITIL v3

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.

SOLUTION
Joshua Bayer's picture

Thanks for your response. I tried opening that article but it didn't come up. I have tested a few machines and that does seem to be the case.

Mithun Sanghavi's picture

Hello,

Try Again,

Upgrading and migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH163602 )

Hope that helps!!

Thanks!!!

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant
MIM | MCSA | MCTS | STS | SSE | SSE+ | ITIL v3

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.