Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

B2d and be 2012

Created: 18 Mar 2013 • Updated: 18 Mar 2013 | 5 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I am sitting down tonight to begin installing BE 2012 onto our servers...  I have a question about BE 2012 and b2d...  I read online that you can only have 1 b2d per volume on 2012...  What exactly does that mean?  In the past I have had a seperate b2d per server, is this still possible?  Or do you have to have one b2d for all your servers and if so why would they have changed this?  It seems as though this would be a disadvantage.

Operating Systems:

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

Yes. In BE 2012, you can only have 1 disk storage (B2D folder) on each volume.  If you have more than 1 B2D folder on your volumes, then 1 of them would be THE disk storage on that volume and the rest would become legacy B2D folder which are read-only.

prs246191's picture

When I think of volume, I think of seperating a disk into multiple volumes, c,d,e, f... so on and so forth...  So can you create a 2 seperate b2d on 2 different storage devices?

pkh's picture

You can create a disk storage on C:, D: and so on, but you would be overworking the problem.  You can back up all your servers onto one disk storage.  Save yourself some work and let BE manage the storage.

prs246191's picture

I don't know why I am haveing such a hard time with this...  But your saying create one folder and have all of the files dump into there.  How does be know what files go to what server..  I know this is silly, but I am one of those people who is ocd over files and folders.

Also, do people usally run 2 backup jobs to 2 differnt storage devices so if one fails the other one picks up the slack?

pkh's picture

Keeping track of which backup set contains data for which server is basic media management which BE always has.  BE is oblivious to whether whether you use 1 or more B2D folder.  When you use multiple B2D folders, you need to have more jobs because a job can only target 1 B2D folder.  With your existing BE version, you can try targeting multiple jobs backing up different servers to one B2D folder.

To answer your last question, no.  I have never used more than 1 B2D folder.  The only time you would set up multiple B2D folders is when they are on separate disks and you are rotating the disks.

SOLUTION