Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backing up backup exec2012

Created: 06 Oct 2012 • Updated: 17 Oct 2012 | 3 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi

i would like to know how to backup my backup exec 2012 settings and backups settings mostly as  i need to reinstall windows on the backup server and thus need to reinstall BES2012..

Also what are the steps for reloading these backups

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

Backup_Exec's picture

Hi

If you are planning to reinstall windows and want to retain all setting for backup exec please do the following

1. Please copy the Symantec shared folder which contain the SLF files for backup exec 2012. If this is windows 2008 then you would find that in C-program data .Symantec shared folder

2 Please stop the backup exec services and copy data and catalogs folder from C-program file-symantec.

Once you reinstall windows with same name and install backup exec you can use the Symantec shared folder to import the SLF keys and once installed you can copy data and catalog folder back again which you had backup earlier before reinstalling windows and you would see everything is back

Hope that helps

Thanks

Sameer

Don't forget to give a "Thumbs Up" or Mark as "Solution" if someones advice has helped you.

SOLUTION
ncoowar's picture

Thanks.

but is there a methodic way to do a backup job of the above?

Backup_Exec's picture

Hi

In that case if you backup the bedb.bak file which is in c-programs files-symantec-backupexec-data folder. So if you backup this file this would help you to retain all the setting in backup exec as this files is updated everyday after backup exec maintainence you can backup that file everyday when you backup the backup server itself and finally for catalogs you would have to backup catalog folder too in your backup job.

Moreover please check below link which describes about how to restore the setting using bedb.bak file

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH65053

Hope that helps

Thanks

Sameer

Don't forget to give a "Thumbs Up" or Mark as "Solution" if someones advice has helped you.