Backing up Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008 R2 using Deduplication
We are thinking of utilizing Backup Exec 2010 R3 Deduplication Option and CASO in our backup strategy. We would backup to the Dedup folder locally then perform an optimized duplication to a managed media server dedup folder at another location. There is a 50Mb dedicated connection between the two sites. Can anyone answer the following questions:
1. Does deduplication treat the Exchange Info Stores and SQL DBs like single large files or does backup exec look inside these for deduplication?
2. If I run full daily backups of Exchange (100GB) and SQL (50GB) to the dedup folder, will this data get deduped?
3. If so, When the optimized duplication job runs, will just the deduplicated Exchange and SQL data be sent to the other site?
4. Do Exchange Incremental and Differential backups benefit from deduplication? In what ways?
5. If I currently use B2Ds for my backup destination, would it be recommended to stop using them and point all backup jobs to the Deduplication folder? Why?