Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backing up Exchange 2013 with Backup Exec 2012

Created: 12 Oct 2013 | 6 comments
Sym-Patrick's picture

Hi

My Backup Exec 2012 (Version 14.0 1798.1244) is installed on Windows Server 2008 R2.

I need to Backup Microsoft Exchange 2013. Is this newest Mailserver supported by Backup Exec 2012?

How do I know (are there any additional features in the GUI of Backup Exec 2012), if the Exchange Management Tools for Microsoft Exchange Server are already installed on Backup Exec 2012?

Patrick

Operating Systems:

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

...they aren't installed on or in Backup Exec. They are stand-alone Microsoft installations installed on Windows.

BE just references them during backups and restores.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

pkh's picture

You would need to install BE 2012 SP2 to be able to backup Exchange 2013. However GRT backup is not supported.  See the SCL below

BE 2012 SCL

BE does not install the Exchange Management Tool.  You would have to do it yourself.

The SCL does not mention the need for the Exchange Management Tool to be installed on the media server. Since GRT backup of Exchange 2013 is not supported, I think there is no need to install the Exchange Managment Tool.  You would need to confirm this with Symantec Tech Support.

seankg's picture

after spending thousands of dollars for upgrade to get to a point where we can backup server 2012 and exchange 2013 i find this error which is very frustating

Subject: Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed (Server: "SERVER") (Job: "FullBackup Week1")

(Server: "SERVER") (Job: "FullBackup Week1") FullBackup Week1 -- The job failed with the following error: This operation is not supported on 32-bit media servers because Microsoft does not support 32-bit Exchange Management Tools for Exchange Server 2010. You must use a 64-bit media server for this operation.

come one really no backup solution really

Mark Valpreda's picture

You need to have a 64bit media server. I am sure if you have Exchange 2013 in your environment you have another 64bit server somewhere.

seankg's picture

we have one 64 bit server serving 15 people it is 2012 which symantic will not load on

CraigV's picture

There will be support for Windows Server 2012 in BE 2012 R2...but that Beta only begins in the new year.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...