Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backing up Windows 2000 6.5.x clients to Netbackup 7.x master/media servers

Created: 11 May 2010 • Updated: 12 Nov 2010 | 4 comments
MohdAlim's picture

Hi

Has anyone tried backing up a Windows 2000 (6.5.x) clients to a Netbackup 7.x master/media server? Can it work?

Based on my understanding from Support, is that we require a Netbackup media server running 6.5.x in order to backup those Windows 2000 clients. But from the tech note, it mentions that "A NetBackup version 7.x master server will support NetBackup media servers/clients running NetBackup versions 6.0 and 6.5.x." Tech note extracted from http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/334273.htm

But from the OS compatibility matrix, no Windows 2000 seems to be supported in Netbackup 7.0.

Can advise?

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

Marianne's picture

Correct - Windows 2000 is not supported in Netbackup 7.0. This means that you cannot upgrade the NBU client software on Windows 2000.
NBU 6.5.x is supported on Windows 2000, and as per the TechNote that you found (as well as NBU Release Notes), NBU 6.5.x clients can be backed up to NBU 6.5.x and 7 servers.

Extract from Release Notes:

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

MohdAlim's picture

Hi Marianne

Thanks for the info. The reason why I'm asking is because we have accidentally installed our servers (master & media) with 2008 Enterprise R2. R2 is not supported for 6.5.4. My options are to downgrade the servers to R1 (which is a hassle) or install Netbackup 7.0. I consulted Support for advise but quite confused with their comments below:

- One of the media servers needs to be at 6.5.x to be able to backup the windows 2000 clients.
- Downgrade one of the media servers to windows 2008 and have that media server run 6.5.x to support windows 2000 clients

To confirm, we do not need to have a media server running 6.5.x just to support windows 2000 clients right?

MohdAlim's picture

One last query, for the upgrade from 6.5.4 to 7, can we re-use the existing serial or do we need to generate a new set of serial?

J.H Is gone's picture

You can have 7.0 meida and master servers, it is just the clients you cannot upgrade to 7.0.  but if the client is at 6.0.x pr 6.5.x then the 7.0 master/media can back it up just fine.

I don't have to know how to spell....I work on Unix.
NetBackup 7.0.1 - AIX & Windows