Video Screencast Help

Backup Agents for windows 2008 hyper-v server

Created: 23 Nov 2012 • Updated: 17 Dec 2012 | 6 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I am planning to setup a hyper-v host to include 3 VM for windows 2008 AD and aother applications.

all will run windows 2008 server.

how many BE2012 agents do I need in order to backup all my VM ?

Do I need agent for each VM that I installed ?

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi,

If you choose the Hyper-V agent, you only need a single license to protect all your VMs. If you want to do GRT backups/restores of your applications then you'd need those licenses.

The Hyper-V agent is licensed per host, irrespective of the number of VMs running on them.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

SOLUTION
yeow_km's picture

so if I have another hyper-V host that contains VM for SQL, sharepoint and web server, then I need seperate agents to backup them ??

CraigV's picture

So you'd have this:

1. Hyper-V agent license/s to backup the VMs in their entirety.

2. If you want to do GRT-level backups/restores, then:

2.1 Agent for Databases and Applications x 2 (SQL & SharePoint)

2.2 Most likely a Remote Agent for Windows Servers for the web server unless it has an application on it.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

pkh's picture

For each Hyper-V host, you need to have a Hyper-V agent.  This licence will also allow you to install remote agents into an unlimited number of VM's hosted on this host, so your web server will be covered if it is not running any databases or applications.  For those VM's that is running databases or applications, like SQL databases and Sharepoint, you would need to buy 1 Agent for Databases and Applications for each application/database on each VM;

If you have a lot of applications/database, you might want to consider the V-Ray edition which you pay per VM socket and it allows you to have an unlimited amount of Agent for Databases and Applications licences.

See the licencing guide below

2012 Portfolio Licensing Guide

yeow_km's picture

Can I transfer/change existing agents to the new server when we eventually retire some of the old server after migration ?

eg.

1) Existing agents for domain controller and SQL database that we intend to migrate to the new environment.

2) Existing agent for Exchange Server to change to agent for application and database.

pkh's picture

No problem.  Just make sure that you delete the licence keys from the old servers.  To change your Exchange agent to an Agent for Application and Database, you would need to have a current maintenance contract.