Video Screencast Help

backup exchange 2007 question

Created: 15 Dec 2010 • Updated: 15 Feb 2013 | 3 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I have already used the snapshot manager from Netapp to make the snapshot of Exchange 2007. If I use the Backup Exec Agent to backup the Exchange Server directly, it seems that there is some conflicts between them. Does it mean that we could not use snapshot manager with BE agent at the same time?

What shall I do? If I want to backup the exchange data into the tape

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

Munir2Fast's picture

hi Jacky,

You can use the snapshot, in the backup job properties got to-> advance open file option-> select Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (Windows 2003 and later) -> System - Use Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider.

Use this option only when you have 2 vss provider on a particular server that is being backed-up. Please let me know what is the error you are receving on the same...

Thanks,

Munir

If this response answers your concern, please mark it as a "solution"

CraigV's picture

Hi there,

It is actually not recommended by Symantec to use AOFO when backing up databases like Exchange.

It causes a range of issues like logs not clearing, inability to restore from tape etc.

So technically you shouldn't use AOFO at all. In your case, are you using AOFO that is causing the issue with your Netapp?

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

SOLUTION
Dev T's picture

If its Ex2003, AOFO is not recomended...

However if its Ex2007 it will by default use Microsoft Volume shadow service (VSS) and backup exchange with snapshot technology.

If NetApp is snapping Ex2007 at the same time either Backup Exec or NetApp job will fail as the VSS will be used by a single application at a time.

Use Backup Exec to backup exchange data to TAPES as u will be able to restore an individual mail with the GRT option enabled.

Hope this helps...

Its a best practice to have a "Support Contract" with Symantec...