Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exe 2010 DR restore

Created: 16 Jan 2013 | 4 comments

I'm running Backup Exe 2010 R3 I have successful backups of a windows\sql server I'm trying to restore.

Ive loaded windows on the server

Joined to the domain as same server name deleted old sever name in AD only to realize i shouldnt have joined to domain

after reading article www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=conte.... Dumb mistake

At this point i started over re loaded OS what need to be done at this point?

Hopefully joining domain didnt screw and deleting object didnt screw anything up, but server picked up a new dhcp  IP with same server name

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

Backup_Exec's picture

Hi

So in this case is this a Memeber server restore or Domain controller restore

1 If it is Member server restore , You need to keep the server in workgroup

2 Ensure the OS is reinstalled at same level as before in terms of service pack and patches

3 Also ensure doing a restore to same h/w as doing a restore to different h/w or a dismillar h/w is not supported

4 Then with Backup Exec restore C-System state -Shadow copy once restore is successfull restart the server and you will be prompted to join to domain and then restore the SQL

For more information you can check shortuct for DR

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH83015

Thanks

Sameer

Don't forget to give a "Thumbs Up" or Mark as "Solution" if someones advice has helped you.

cwillams12's picture

1. This is a member server

2.How will AD behave and DNS when object was recently removed and DNS the same server name had a differnet IP than its orginal? this my major concern

pkh's picture

This must have been posted while I was posting my answer below.

Since you have remove the AD object for the old server, you would have to rejoin the server to AD after it is recovered.

If the server is using DHCP, DNS will automatically be updated to reflect the new address.  If the server has a manual DNS entry and has a fixed IP address, then the DNS entry needs to be updated manually.

pkh's picture

The above procedure is not quite correct.  It neglected to restore the C: drive.  Without restoring the old C: drive, the applications will not be restored and there will be a mismatch when the registry is restored as part of the system state restore.

The proper procedure should be

1) load up an OS.  A working OS which is supported by BE will do.  It don't have to be at the latest patch level because this would be overlayed when the server's C: drive is restored from the backup.  Leave this machine in a workgroup with a differnet name from the old server.. Create a local admin account which has full read/write capabilities on this machine.

2) Add this local admin account as a credential to BE.

3) Install the BE remote agent on the recovery machine

4) restore the C: drive of the recovey machine using the local admin account as the credential.

5) restore the system state and the shadows copy component of the C: drive of the recovey machine using the local admin account as the credential.

6) reboot.  Upon successful re-boot, the recovery machine should be at the state when the original server is backed up and should be a member of the domain with the old server name, provided the AD object for the old server is not touched.  Since the old entry in the AD has been deleted, it may need to re-join the domain.

7) restore other disks and data for applications like SQL, Exchange, etc.