Backup Exec 11d: Agent is not working anymore / error e0008821 / authentication problems
We have problems doing backup with Backup Exec 11d (Rev.7170) and Remote Backup Agent on Windows Server 2003 since about two weeks. It seems like the agent on a remote server is not working correctly. Here's what the situation looks like:
- The backup process had been running infintely until restart of the BE services - after restarting the services the job ended with error code e0008821
- I tested the saved authetication data using the job properties. One server with backup agent installed didn't respond as expected. The status was "testing" and it did not come to an end as well. Looking at the remote server, you can see that an tcp-connection is established on port 10000. But it seems to get stuck since no data is transmitted after some point (I used a packet sniffer: the last packet seemed to contain the authetication data).
- I removed the remote agent last night according to symantec documentation and installed it again remotely using the management console. Nothing changed.
- Other agents are running fine.
- Firewall is down on both servers.
I'm really running out of ideas to get it working again. So I really hope you guys have some advice on debugging or solving this issue...
Thanks a lot!!