Video Screencast Help

Backup Exec 12.0/12.5 not overwriting backups

Created: 12 Apr 2010 • Updated: 12 Apr 2010 | 11 comments

Hi just wondering if anyone can help me here -

I have 2 servers running backup exec 12.0 SP3 (SBS 2003 SP2) and 12.5 SP3 (SBS 2008 SP2) using external USB drives as removable backup to disk folders.
What seems to be happening is after the first few backups backup exec will stop working at the point of mounting media and will wait for hours until the job is cancelled by the user, resulting in:

V-79-57344-33861 - The media operation was terminated by the user.

Now when I come to take a look at the USB drives they are nearly full and have less space than needed in order to complete a backup; the drives have several old backups on them that were made earlier but they aren't getting deleted. In my backup media set the overwrite protection is set to 0 but my backups just don't seem to be getting overwritten.

Any help?

Comments 11 CommentsJump to latest comment

Charlosa's picture

Hi BFC,

Hope I'm not simply pointing you at the obvious, but have you checked the properties of the backup job, under Destination - Device and Media. In the middle of the screen you should see the options for "When this job begins". By default on a new job, this is set to Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available. Have you set it to the above option of "Overwrite media"?

If not, this change of setting should all being well resolve your issue. Otherwise, I'm not sure without some further info.

Cheers

John

Ken Putnam's picture

Edit the properties of the media set(s) involved, and set the OPP (Overwrite Protection Period) such that older versions can be overwritten as this situation occurs

also, verify that the job properties are set to Overwrite, not append

For disk jobs I recommend that you ALWAYS use overwrite, since all BKF files in an "append family" share a common overwrite date, which is reset when the latest one is closed.  As such you can get to where the disk is full, but NONE of the BKF files can be overwritten, even if they are several months old

If this response answers your concern, please mark it as a "solution"

beaconsfieldcomputers's picture

Yes when I created these backup jobs I set the option to overwrite under when this job begins.

On both the media sets for each job I specifically set the overwrite protection to 0 hours - that should mean it can overwrite the last job if it needs to right? A while ago I tried experimenting with this and setting it to 4 hours on the 2003 box but it made no difference.

Ken Putnam's picture

On both the media sets for each job I specifically set the overwrite protection to 0 hours - that should mean it can overwrite the last job if it needs to right?

BackupExec should overwrite the OLDEST first, not the newest, buy yes, with an OPP of zero and Overwrite, BackupExec should re-use the existing BKF files

I've seen some strange behavior when the Global overwrite protection is NONE, if you have this set, try Partial or FULL instead  (Tools\Options\Media Management)

If this response answers your concern, please mark it as a "solution"

pkh's picture

Under Tools ---> Options --> Media Management, check that you have set the Media overwrite options to Overwrite recycleable media in the targeted media set before overwriting scratch media.

Ok for the 2008 box I have selected the option to Overwrite recycleable media.
The 2003 box already has this option selected.

The media overwrite protection level is already set to Partial with a check for prompt before overwriting imported media on both machines.

pkh's picture

The media overwrite protection level is already set to Partial with a check for prompt before overwriting imported media on both machines

This is fine.

Just saying I'm still having this issue, but also I am unable to run liveupdate

The error I'm getting is:

Downloading failed, error summary...
LU1835: The LiveUpdate server failed to respond in a reasonable amount of time.  This could happen because you could not connect to the server, the server is now unavailable, or you became disconnected to the server.  Try running LiveUpdate again.Downloading Symantec Backup Exec (TM) 12 for Windows Servers (1 of 13), 23% complete...
pkh's picture

Check the Low Disk Space Threshold property of your B2D folder and make sure that it is not set too big.  Also, under the media tab, check that the older files are overwriteable before the job starts.

For your LiveUpdate problem, try again at another time.  If the problem still persists, start another discussion for it.

agsistemas's picture

You can try to associate old media set as scratch media.

Low disk space threshold is looking fine for this drive.
I've submitted all my previous backups as scratch media and the backup is stuck on No idle devices are available now.