Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 12.5 Catalog problems

Created: 05 Feb 2013 • Updated: 12 Feb 2013 | 2 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I am currently attempting to restore data on one of our old systems that recently suffered an outage. I have one backup from a month ago that worked fine and restored the data, unfortunately I am having problems performing a catalog on two other tapes, I should only need 1 to work to get the last 3 weeks of data.

The problems on the tapes are as follows:

Tape 1 - Error e00084ca - The data being read from the media is inconsistent.

Tape 2 - Error e0000900 - The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the Catalog operation.

For both tapes I have tried the following:

1. Rename the catalog folder.

2. Try using a different machine and tape drive.

3. Tried using a clean BE DB

4. Changed the registry settings for TapeFormat as described in a Symantec article.

I have not had any look with anything I have tried. I am sure there is more data on Tape2, however as we use a single tape drive it looks like it failed during a backup about 2 months ago as the tape was full. The tape is set to append or overwrite and the next backup would have taken place after the overwrite protection period had ended. Unfortunately the catalog job just stops when it can not find part of a set from a different backup.

On Tape1, the inconsistent data appears at the same point which leads be to believe there is a problem with the tape, is there a way to skip over that part and get to the rest of the data?

Is it possible to get the data from these tapes? Or is it just gone?

Thanks for any assistance or advice people can give.

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

Gurvinder Rait's picture

You can turn on RSM service (stop BE services) and try to restore with ntbackup. 

Also, in BE have you tried to catalog with use storage media based catalog and use media in sequence option deselected. This would perform a slow catalog and not ask media in sequence.

See if the above 2 suggestions help.

Thanks

SOLUTION
dave___'s picture

Gurvinder,

Thanks for the 2 suggestions, I had tried the second one previously and it had no effect. I tried your suggestion of trying to restore with ntbackup and received similar messages to those given by BE.

We have now made the decision to accept the data loss and work on ways to prevent it happening again.

Thanks for your advice.