Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 12.5 controller error on \Device\RaidPort0 - Used to work fine

Created: 11 Dec 2013 | 14 comments

Hello,

It's been almost a month now since I have been able to run a successful backup. The problem started around 11/15/13 when my backup jobs would run at 2.00 MB/min instead of 1,000+ MB/min. There were no major configuration changes on my end, it seemed to just come up overnight.

I have tried many different things to resolve this issue, and now I can't even get a job to get past the Queued state. I start a job and then a Device Information box pops up with the error: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort0. There are no additional details or error codes.

Setup: We are running a HP StorageWorks Ultrium 448 connected via SCSI. I don't know much about the SCSI card, but under Device Manager the storage controller driver is listed as: LSI Adapter, Ultra320 SCSI 2000 series, w/1020/1030.

What I've done: I've tried changing the job and services credentials to an administrative account that is a member of Domain Admins, Backup Operators and Exchange Organization Administrators. I've changed the SCSI channel to 2, 3, 7, 10...I've tried a bunch. When on channel 2, the server will list 16 tape drives in Device Manager. I currently have it set to 3 where it only shows one drive. I've ran tapeinst.exe and installed v5.1.37.0 of the Symantec Drivers. I right clicked on the LSI Adapter and tried to update the drivers, but it said that drivers were up to date. I've tried a backup-to-disk job which ran at ~200.00 MB/min, not fantastic, but a little faster.

I've done quite a few other troubleshooting steps, but they're not coming to me right now. Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.

Operating Systems:

Comments 14 CommentsJump to latest comment

AmolB's picture

Have you checked below MS Technote.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314093

EDIT

I would also suggest you to download and run HP Library and Tape Tools.

Stop Backup Exec services and run diagnostic check againt the hardware.

Larry Fine's picture

This may help:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24414

How to troubleshoot issues with a Robotic Library (autoloader/changer) and/or Tape Drive(s).

If you find this is a solution for the thread, please mark it as such.

TheTechHead's picture

Thank you very much for the reply,

The BE Support tool is apparently no longer being developed.

I checked the hardware compatibily list and the tape drive is listed with a SCSI drive interface on page 12.

I'll keep going over more things on the list.

TheTechHead's picture

Thank you AmolZeroCool,

I have installed the HP Library and Tape Tools 5.1. Under "No. of Devices" it lists 0.

I have read through the tech note and I will perform some of the troubleshooting steps. I will report back soon.

Thank you,

pkh's picture

Did you stopped all the BE services before running LT&T?  If not, do so.  Also, make sure you select the write test when you run the tool.

Do you have HP Insight software running on your server?  If so, uninstall it.

TheTechHead's picture

Yes, I have stopped all BE services and it still lists 0 devices. I'm not sure what you mean by selecting a "write test". I'm using 5.1 which is the Web GUI version.

I don't think I have HP Insight software installed. I've checked in Add Remove and the only thing under HP is the HP LT&T.

pkh's picture

If LT&T cannot detect the tape drive, then there is a hardware problem.  You got to get it sorted out.  The tape drive must be functioning correctly in the Windows Device Manager before BE can use it.  If necessary, get the vendor to sort out the hardware problem.

When you run diagnostics on the tape drive using LT&T, you would be given an option to do a write test.  You should do a write test which can throw up errors which otherwise would not be revealed.

Larry Fine's picture

RE: Yes, I have stopped all BE services and it still lists 0 devices.

Does the tape drive show up in Windows device manager?  If Windows doesn't see it, then L&TT and BE will not be able to do anything with it.

If Windows doesn't see it, the next question is to dtermine if the SCSI HBA can see it.  Usually this is done by pressing CTRL-A during the HBA POST process.

If you find this is a solution for the thread, please mark it as such.

TheTechHead's picture

It does show in Device Manager as a "Hewlet Packard LTO Ultrium-2 drive".

TheTechHead's picture

I Installed an older version of the Tape Tools and ran it. This is what came up:

TapeDrive1.jpg

When I attempt to select the tape drive it waits for a few minutes and then gives me this: TapeDrive2.jpg

Update: After letting the I/O Request process for at least 10 minutes I got this screen:

TapeDrive3.jpg

CraigV's picture

Put the BE services in Disabled state, restart the server and run LTT again. The other option is to update the firmware on the SCSI card.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

TheTechHead's picture

Update: I spoke with HP the other day for at least two hours and we could not find the source of the problem. We have two DL120 G5s in the organization with almost the exact same hardware setup. Backup Exec will not run on that PC either. We ended up wiping the server clean and installing Windows Server 2008 R2. Even with a fresh install (which didn't throw a single error message during install), any job will not run any faster than 4.00 MB/min.

We did however get a new error message:

TapeDrive4.jpg

Now I get to mess with controller drivers for the rest of the day. : /

CraigV's picture

...is that tape drive correctly terminated? Have you made sure that any antivirus installed isn't perhaps actively scanning the BE services? Have you verified that there aren't any failed/failing hardware in those ProLiants? I know that HP Systems Management Homepage isn't properly supported on the DL/ML1xx series servers, but check the Event Viewer.

Also, do a write test with HP LTT and see what sort of speeds you are getting. You would need to stop the BE services again before doing so.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...