Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup exec 12.5 file size seems too small

Created: 03 Jan 2013 | 11 comments

We recently implemented a BDR and we are using Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 to backup the files and we are just pointing it to the BDR. There is about 250gb being backed up. We are running an incremental backup throughout the week and a full backup on Sundays. The issue is, when going to the target location the backup files seem to be unreasonably small. For the Incremental backup file B2D000001.bkf is 1.92gb and the full backup file B2D000002.bkf is 8.5gb. So we have 250gb being compressed to 8.5 gb? To me it doesn't seem reasonable. I double checked file sizes and also double checked the files selected to be backed up. or is that compression ratio reasonable? 

Comments 11 CommentsJump to latest comment

Kiran Bandi's picture

So we have 250gb being compressed to 8.5 gb?

Not possible in real time. Check in job log for any files/deirectories being skipped, you can also see the backup size in log. Check if all the files in your selection list are being backedup properly or not from Restore Window. 

M.Saldivar's picture

For files being skipped, the only ones being skipped are from Trend Micro. I checked the Job History > Job Log > Job Operation > Set Information - D: Data > Verify Set Summary > Processed 197,17,19,90,687 bytes (183gb) in 6 hours. So all the main data seemed to be verified. Far as checking from the Restore Window, nothing has been setup for restore as we have not tried to restore yet. I checked from the "Full Backup Properties" and everything seems to be properly checked.

Gurvinder Rait's picture

What is the Maximum size for backup-to-disk files (check properties of B2D)

M.Saldivar's picture

The maximum for B2D is set to 350gb. The "Allocate the maximum size for backup-to-disk files" option is un-checked. Maximum number of backup sets per backup-to-disk file: is set to 100. 

pkh's picture

Check your joblog and see which media are used in the job.  There may be more than 1 .bkf used by the job.  Also, make sure that your job is not set to append.  There is no advantage in appending to disk media.  Always use overwrite when backing up to disk.

Gurvinder Rait's picture

since we now know what the size of bkf could be. Can you check the number of media used in the Job Log (under device and media information --> All media used)

pkh's picture

Thank you for confirming what I have said.

M.Saldivar's picture

Under the Full Backup, All Media Used is B2D000001. While seeing this, I went ahead and checked what the Incremental was set for and it is set for B2D000001 as well. Could the Incremental be overwriting the Fullbackup at this point? 

Kiran Bandi's picture

Provide us with some information about how the media sets and jobs are configured?

To be precise, OPP and AP of media sets, from Job properties "When this job begins" option and Proection level from Global Settings.

Thanks!

pkh's picture

Whether your full backup is overwritten by the incremental backup would depend on whether your job specifies overwrite or append and how long is the OPP of the media set targeted by your full backup.  For example, if your incremental backup specifies overwrite and the OPP is set to 1 hour, running your incrmental backup more than 1 hour after the end of the full backup job will overwrite the full backup set.

To check create a restore job and see whether you can select your full backup.

I would strongly suggest that you familiarise yourself with the Data Management section of the Admin Guide.  Otherwise, you might inadvertently overwrite some critical backup.

Gurvinder Rait's picture

try doing a few test with full protection on the backup. Use the Keep data infinitely - Do not allow overwrite media set and see how it goes