Video Screencast Help
Protect Your POS Environment Against Retail Data Breaches. Learn More.

Backup Exec 12.5 issue with HP Storageworks Ultrium 448 SAS

Created: 31 Dec 2012 • Updated: 14 Jan 2013 | 6 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hello,

I have a SBS 2008 server with HP Storageworks Ultrium 448 SAS, and Backup Exec 12.5. The issue is that when the backup job starts - it says queued and stays like that for ages. If I try inventory - says no media servers available. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the backup tape using Symantec drivers - same thing. Tried newest HP driver - same thing. Tried the driver suggested from Microsoft updates - same issue. Repairing the backup exec did not help. The only strange thing that I noticed is that after every install, the device shows in Backup exec that it is in use. I tested the device with HP storageworks and library tools - it is visible, and does not report any issues. 

What can be the problem with that device, and is it possible for some reason the Backup Exec to be broken ?

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi,

Go to the Devices tab within BE itself, right-click the server name & choose Pause. Leave this for 30 seconds, then do the same again and choose Unpause.

You should also check for any alerts when the job is running to see what it might be prompting you to do. Then respond to them.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

Daniel Marinov's picture

Hi CraigV. Thank you for you responce. I tried pausing and unpausing the server. Th jobs started without any warnings or alerts, and stays with status: queued for more than 20 minutes.

CraigV's picture

OK then try this:

 

1. Remove the autoloader from Windows Device Manager (uninstall it) & delete from BE.

2. Disconnect the autoloader and turn it off, and restart the server.

3. Allow the server to boot into Windows and make sure the autoloader doesn't show up in Windows or BE. Shut the server down.

4. Reconnect the autoloader and turn it on. Once it completes its initialization, turn on the server and boot into Windows.

5. Run tapeinst.exe to install the Symantec drivers, and in Device Manager, make sure the robotics shows up as Unknown Medium Changer. If it has the HP driver, install the driver already mentioned (Unknown Medium Changer).

6. Try running an Inventory job, followed by a backup job.

Also doesn't hurt to ensure that both the autoloader and the SCSI card it attaches too have the latest firmware installed.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

pkh's picture

1) If you are running any HP Insight software turn them off.

2) Make sure you have the following hotfix which contains the DDI needed for the tape drive.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH124420

Daniel Marinov's picture

We sent an engineer onsite to re-seat the controller. The device starting making weard sounds - it seems that is is broken itself but not reporting this fault.

 

Thanks all for the help.

SOLUTION
CraigV's picture

...try a backup to a B2D and see if the issue is recreated there. If not, the issue lies with the drive. HP LTT can perform a write test (stop the BE services first) which will indicate a possible problem or not.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...