Video Screencast Help

Backup Exec 12.5 Media server change

Created: 19 Dec 2012 • Updated: 31 Jan 2013 | 7 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi Experts ,

we have 1 Master/media Server

7 clients all are windows.

Now we have one scheduled activity in which we need to change the media server (moving BE to old server to new)

could any one help me by providing detail steps of this procedure how to implement and test this ?

Tape library is also changing.

we need to configure the new drives and test this configuration.

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

Donald Eady's picture

Take a look at the Docs below 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67768

I hope this posting was helpful

SOLUTION
sri vani's picture

Hi Donald ,

Thanks for the reply and procedure links.

Could you please provide me your inputs on Tape library migration.

As per the plan we are migrating Backup server (old to new) as wel as old library to new tape library(HP to TS3500)

Thank you in advance.

will this work out...

Colin Weaver's picture

because of the new library, after the migration to new hardware BE will pick up the new library, however you will have to manually re-assign the exiting backup jobs to the new library and it is possible you may need assistance to delete the old library as it may show as offline in your storage devices.

sri vani's picture

Thak you Colin..

Kindly let me know which one do we need to start first

1)Migration of BE Media old server to New server or Migration of BE old tape library to new tape library?

2)possible could you please post the detail procedure ?

Thanks again..

pkh's picture

You can either upgrade your media server then your tape library, or the other way round.  It does not matter.  In either case, after you have upgraded your tape library, you need target your jobs to the new library.  For example, your old library is hp1 and your new library is hp2.  You need to change your job to point to hp2 aftter the library upgrade.

sri vani's picture

Thank you all..

After migration we no more use Backup exec for Backup scheduling purpose.

1)we use it for only restore purpose .In such scenario we would like to migrate first Old library to New Tape library and then old backup exec media server to New Backup exec media server.

will this work out?

2)how to manually re-assign the exiting backup jobs to the new library

and how to delete the old library as it  show as offline in storage devices.

Thank you once again..kindly help me here..

pkh's picture

1) Yes.

2) You have to edit each job.  In the storage section of the job properties, change the old tape library to the new one.

To delete the old tape library, right-click on it and select Delete.  You may have to off-line it first.