Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 12.5 re-install

Created: 21 Jun 2011 | 4 comments

I am trying to re-install BE12.5 in a Windows 2003R2 server.  The install keeps failing because it finds BE10.5 installed and cannot (or will not) update to 12.5.  BE10.5 has not been installed for years.  I've scoured the server for fragments of the original 10.5 and/or any BE version and find nothing!  I want to do a clean install and it just refuses to do so.  any suggestions?  I'm in a bind now with no backup.

Steve

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

Dev T's picture

Hi,

I am trying to re-install BE12.5 in a Windows 2003R2 server.

Is backup Exec 12.5 present on the server?

If its not : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH124227

Follow the above link to find the traces of BE10.5 and manually delete them.

Its a best practice to have a "Support Contract" with Symantec...

pcssteve's picture

I uninstalled BE 12.5 due to corruption.  Now I can't get the program re-installed.  I tried the link you sent...unfortunately Microsoft has removed the program from the download site.  Anywhere else I can get it?

Colin Weaver's picture

Unfortunately companies cannot redistribute Microsoft program code as all sorts of licensing issues and intellectual property rights would be violated - particularly for a piece of code that is already known to have been withdrawn from public availability.

To help with re-installing Backup Exec I suggest you log a formal support call for someone to assist with manually going through all the file and registry locations.

We are looking at our own replacement for the MSI Cleanup tool - just for handling Backup Exec, however this almost certainly will not be available against version 12.5

Dev T's picture

Hello,

Link to manually uninstall backup exec 12.5

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH50720

Its a best practice to have a "Support Contract" with Symantec...