Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Backup Exec 12.5 Slow Since SEP v11 RU6/RU7 Upgrade

Posted Jan 13, 2012 05:59 AM

Hi,

We recently upgraded our Backup Exec v12.5 server from Symantec Antivirus v10.1 to SEP v11 RU6. After doing this our backups started to fail as they were taking so long - we have a narrow window for each backup, and some backups have a maximum run time - due to the job rate decreasing by 50% - 75%. I did some research on the Symantec forums & tech pages and found Article TECH105418 which details an issue between BE 12.x & SEP, and a possible fix. So I disabled 'network drive scanning', disabled 'scan when a file is backed up' and select 'scan when a file is modified' rather than 'when a file is modified or accessed', and added an exception for .sv2i files. I then retried a backup, but this still ran 75% slower than expected:

After more searching I found an article/forum post that suggested upgrading tot he latest maintenance release might resolve the issue, so I installed the RU7 patch, and retried the backup, with out any success! However another issue that arose was that after I decided to perform a reboot of the server, the TCP/IP stack became corrupt, an IPCONFIG would not show any IP address, setting an IP address would not work, I had to run a TCP/IP stack repair tool and reboot, however rebooting again just caused the stack to fail, so the only choice I had was to totally remove SEP v11, reboot again, after which the TCP/IP remained OK, re-install SAV v10.1, and reboot again - IP stack still OK - and re-run the backup, after which the job rate went right back up from 748mb/min to 2,762mb/min!

Has anyone else had this? Anyone know how to resolve - both the slow job rate & the TCP/IP stack corruption?

Any help appreciated!

Ben

• 2.  RE: Backup Exec 12.5 Slow Since SEP v11 RU6/RU7 Upgrade

Posted Jan 13, 2012 07:09 AM

Hi,

Is there NTP enabled on the backup servers.

If Yes, check for the network traffice log, if something s blocking the backup traffic.

or something resisting the same.

I have faced the similar issue where i have tried disabling NTP services after which my backup was working fine.

• 3.  RE: Backup Exec 12.5 Slow Since SEP v11 RU6/RU7 Upgrade

Posted Jan 13, 2012 07:33 AM

Try turning off Tamper Protection.

Also check if you have "Scan when a file is backed up" enabled in auto-protect.

• 4.  RE: Backup Exec 12.5 Slow Since SEP v11 RU6/RU7 Upgrade

Posted Jan 13, 2012 11:38 AM

Hi Vikram,

I'll try turning tamper protection off, but as I said in my post I disabled the option to 'scan when a file is backed up', which was recommended in the tech article.

Avkash, I don't believe we have any NTP enable on the server, but I will double check!

Ben