Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 12.5 SP4 to Backup Exec 2012 Custom Migration Questions

Created: 25 Jul 2013 • Updated: 08 Aug 2013 | 7 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hello everyone.  I’m new in this forum, and would like some assistance to upgrade my company’s Backup Exec 12.5 SP4 (32-bit) media server to the latest Backup Exec 2012 (64-bit).  What I’ve proposed to management is to perform a fresh install of Backup Exe 2012 (64-bit), on a new physical server running Windows Server 2008 Standard R2.  What I need some clarification on is how to perform the following:

1.  Migration of encryption settings to the new Backup Exec 2012 media server for restoration.  The encryption is set on the current job policies.  I also have the passphrase information. 
  2. Migration of job history, and catalog data to the new Backup Exec 2012 media server.  My company is required to provide historical job information to auditors on a yearly basis.

I will be recreating the backup jobs, and configuring the default setting on the new server. 

Any assistance is much appreciated.

Operating Systems:

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

Migration of encryption settings to the new Backup Exec 2012 media server for restoration.  The encryption is set on the current job policies.  I also have the passphrase information. 

Since you have the passphrase, you just need to create a new encryption key in BE 2012 using this passphrase. Click on the BE button ---> Configuration and Settings ---> Backup Exec Settings ----> Network and Security

Migration of job history, and catalog data to the new Backup Exec 2012 media server.  My company is required to provide historical job information to auditors on a yearly basis.

To migrate the catalogs, all you need to do is to copy the contents of the Catalog directory under the BE installation directory to the new Catalog directory and then restart all the BE services.  Do this before you do any job in your new BE 2012 installation.

I am not sure if you can migrate the Job History since some or all of your  previous jobs would not exist in the new BE installation.  You might have to either print them out or do a report before shutting down the old BE.

SOLUTION
sidd3009's picture

To add what pkh suggested, you may refer to the following article to migrate all the Catalogs: 

How to import Catalogs into a Backup Exec 12.x or later to a new or upgraded installation.
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH68896

Note: Please create a copy of the Data and Catalogs folder (located at \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec folder) by stopping the Backup Exec Instance (SQL instance with the name as BKUPEXEC from the Windows Services Console). 

If you wish to migrate all the jobs and settings from the old server(Backup Exec 12.5 with Service Pack 4) to the new server(Backup Exec 2012 with Windows Server 2008) then you need to perform the steps as mentioned in the following article: 

How to migrate / move Backup Exec from one version to another on different machine with a different server name.
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67296

Note: Ideally a cross platform migration is not supported. However, if you have a lot of jobs and settings in Backup Exec 12.5 then it is worth a try. 

Regards,

Siddhant Saini
Advanced Technical Support Engineer, Symantec Corporation 
www.symantec.com

ep2013's picture

Thank you all, for the quick responses.

For pkh:

Since you have the passphrase, you just need to create a new encryption key in BE 2012 using this passphrase. Click on the BE button ---> Configuration and Settings ---> Backup Exec Settings ----> Network and Security

This is simple enough to do.

To migrate the catalogs, all you need to do is to copy the contents of the Catalog directory under the BE installation directory to the new Catalog directory and then restart all the BE services.  Do this before you do any job in your new BE 2012 installation.

Again, sounds simple enough to do.  I am looking at 65GB of Catalog data to copy over.

For sidd3009:

I am not planning to migrate settings/configuration, and jobs schedules.  I will be recreating ALL default settings/configuration, and jobs.

So, this leaves the question of migrating the "Job History" unanswered.

pkh's picture

As I said earlier, with a fresh install,your jobs would not be the same and hence the old job history as no reference.  You would need to either print out the joblogs or do a report of the relevant job history before shutting down the old BE installation.

Kunal.Mudliyar's picture

Job history is stored in the backup exec`s database you cannot migrate only that part of the database

I would suggest using the report feature in backup exec and save your reports in order to present it to the management in future

Its good if you start a fresh with BE 2012

Technical Support

Symantec

pkh's picture

Why are you repeating what I have said before?

MusSeth's picture

migrating only job history wont be possible because if u copy .xml files aswell still it will not be havin link in database nd thus it wont work