Backup Exec 12.5 unusable since optional Windows Update
recently I manually run Windows update and found two driver updates sitting there for the Tandberg Exabyte Magnum 224 library and the integrated HP LTO3 drive. Since I had no negative experiences with driver updates in Server 2008 R2, I selected them for installation together with the other updates.
A few days later I figured out, that no backup completed any more (and I got no failure notification either, since the first afterpatch backup was still running!).
Backup Exec was always slow on that machine after changing to the LTO library (300 to 700 MB/minute), but this was still enough to run through a complete backup in the available time frame and not slower than on old DLT drive.
But now the speed dropped down to ancient floppy speed: 3 MB per minute!!!
What I tried:
- Power Cycling the library
- Pulling and reattaching the SCSI cable
- reverting to older Windows and Symantec drivers
- unchecking the Write single block mode and Write SCSI through mode and altering the block sizes in tape drive properties
- attempted an repair install of BE
- uninstalled the SCSI controller
- several reboots.
Believe me, its no longer fun on a Saturday evening and I'm in urgent need of ideas, since relying only on a Windows Home Server appliance to backup the machine is not really the best solution.
Best greetings from Germany