Backup Exec 2010
I'm constantly getting the error of "a tape read/write error has occured" (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH148527&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1336401552565)
Here are the specifics:
- Windows Server 2008 Standard SP2
- Symantec Backup Exec 2010, Media Server Version 13.0 Rev. 2896 (64-bit)
- Old tapes used for differential always work fine, no errors
- Slightly used tapes (used for full/differential backups once or twice) receive the above error
- Brand new tapes receive the above error
- Tried using two different brands of tapes
- Used a tape cleaning cartridge to clean the tape drive
I've read up about this error and it said if it's not the tape drive that's dirty, it may be because of the hardware, cables, etc. -- however, the backups work fine when using the older tapes, so it wouldn't have anything to do with the hardware.
We have old (1-2 yrs) tapes from full backups, and I've tried using those tapes as well, but I receive the same error.
I tried a newer driver for the tape drive, but the same error comes up for the new/slight used tapes. It's hard to believe it's something to do with the tape drive hardware, cables, internal, or software since I'm not getting this error for all of the tapes I use.