Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2010 - Backup Jobs overwriting onto same tape, with same Media Label No

Created: 29 Aug 2011 | 1 comment

Hi All,

I am hoping that I could find some assistance here with my issue.

Recently I have upgraded to Symantec backup Exec 2010, and have found it great.

Although I have an issue now, where if I do not manually extract the previous days tape and then re-insert a new tape, the backup job will use the previous days tape, overwrite the data and use the same Media Label No: i.e; LTO000065.

This is an issue on the weekends as I come back expected three seperate backup jobs completed, only to find that the unit has backed up on and over the same slot and tape, so I only have one backup completed from the previous day.

Ideally, I would like to have the unit follow the settings I have input on the recurring backup job, and not touch that completed tape again for two weeks, so the data is not overwritten.

All slot's are functional as through the week, it does use different/random slots if I was to manually extract the completed tape, then run an inventory.

On the backup job I have it set to the following settings:

Media Set:  Keep Data For Two Weeks

When the Job Begins: Append to media, Overwrite if no appendable media is available.

I am using a 'HP StorageWorks 1/8 G2 LTO-4 Ultrium 1760 SCSI Autoloader'.

Is there anyway to have the unit go to another tape, and create a new Media Label No: on a new backup session?

Discussion Filed Under:

Comments 1 CommentJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

The name of the media set does not confer protection to your tapes.  Go to the Media tab, right-click on your targeted media set and check the OPP and AP settings.  The OPP setting is the one that controls how long the tape is protected.  In your case, it should be set to 13 days.  You should also set the AP to 1 hour so your jobs do not append to the same tape.

You should also set your job to overwrite. Do not append if you want to write to a different tape.

Once the tape is labeled, the label will not be changed when new data are written to it.  The way to change the tape label is to run a label job on the tape.

Once you have settled this problem, you might want to look at implementing barcode labels for your tapes.  Barcode labels are much more efficient than ordinary labels.  You might want to read my article on this subject.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/u...