Video Screencast Help

Backup Exec 2010 cannot backup MAC files

Created: 21 Apr 2013 | 11 comments

We are using BE2010 on a Windows 2008 server and BE consistently reports that an error has occurred - cannot backup the Directory containing MAC files.

Is there a workaround for this at all?

Operating Systems:

Comments 11 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

What are the exact error messages?  Where are these MAC files residing on?

DaranDazza's picture

The error message is 0xe000fe09 - The Directory is invalid

Reference:-  'http://entced.symantec.com/entt?product=BE&version=13.0.5204&module=eng-systemstate-backup&error=V-79-57344-65033&language=EN&build=RetailV-79-57344-65033

and the result is unknown webpage when this is entered into URL field

No results found for 'http://entced.symantec.com/entt?product=BE&version=13.0.5204&module=eng-systemstate-backup&error=V-79-57344-65033&language=EN&build=RetailV-79-57344-65033.

DaranDazza's picture

Sorry meant to also include that the files are residing in a folder on a win2008 server - in our D drive \Data

pkh's picture

Have you tried excluding the 2 offending files from your backup and see what happens?

DaranDazza's picture

I have done that as an interim measure, however that defeats the idea of having a backup.

My query is to actually see if there is a possible symantec solution to have these files included.

pkh's picture

I don't know about the other file, but I believe the ._.DS_Store file is created everything the MAC OS accesses a folder, so backing it up is not important.

Did you turn on AOFO for your job?  If not, turn it on and try again.

Donald Eady's picture

Verify under the selection details that the directory that B.E. is trying to backup actually exists.. Browse to the location of file/directory on the source box and verify that the path exists in its entirety. 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH71493

I hope this posting was helpful

DaranDazza's picture

Well I went back in and checked - the files are definitely sitting the directory as indicated

Also here is the statement from log file:-

V-79-57344-6503313.0.5204eng-ntfs-backupV-79-57344-65033ENRetail - Directory not found. Cannot backup directory \DATA\Data\Curriculum\Symphony\Student Placemat and its subdirectories.

The actual folder is named as  Student Placemat Ver 2    

The only difference from all other folders is that this folder contains MAC files.

Would the spaces in the folder be causing the problem?  ( I would not have thought so.)

I have now created a Test Folder inside the Symphony Directory and will see if it backups up the test folder.

pkh's picture

The actual folder is named as  Student Placemat Ver 2 

Maybe you should enable the "follow symbolic links" option.

DaranDazza's picture

AOFO: Started for resource: "D:". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

The snapshot provider used by VSS for volume D: - Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 (Version 1.0.0.7).

In reply to the AOFO query from pkh - yes it was running.

DaranDazza's picture

Well, now the annoying part - while we get the message that the Directory is Invalid it actually backs up the the Directory and the files contained therein - sigh - so a message that is being generated is incorrect.

So far I have not activated the symbolic link feature as I am not sure what it will do to all the data being backed up.