Backup Exec 2010 Dedupe Performance
I'm a bit disappointed by the Backup Exec 2010 dedupe performance. So I was wondering if maybe I have some kind of misconfiguration on my end or if this was normal. Here is my setup:
- Media Server: HP Proliant DL 380 G6, 1x E5530 2.4GHz (Nehalem/I7), 12GB Ram, 4x 1GBit/s teamed Network Interface.
- Server 2008 R2 x64, BE2010, all hotfixes on the server and the Remote Agent.
- The destination drive is a software-raid 1 with two iSCSI NAS. b2dtest.exe says that every test is passed.
- The backup job is a VM with AVVI, using the SAN connection mode.
- my dedupe store has 64KB data stream chunk size. Changing the chunk size (tried 4kb and 1MB) did not impact performance.
If I backup the VM to a normal B2D folder on the drive, the backup speed is around 4000MB/min. If i use a Dedupe Store on the same drive, the speed is between 500 and 800MB/min. Speeds get a lot worse when I perform a System State backup of a Server 2008 R2. Speed to dedupe is about 50MB/min, while with a regular b2d, it's around 1500MB/min.
I have reinstalled the whole box already, but the performance of the dedupe drive didn't improve. The funny thing is that during the job that runs to the dedupe store, cpu and network load are very low. Also, the byte count is very unsteady ... It goes up just by about 5MB per 5 seconds for a couple of minutes, then it jumps about 200MB per 5 seconds for a minute, before going back to being very slow.
What kind of performances do you have with your dedupe storages? and if yours are performing better, what could be the issue with mine?