Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

Backup Exec 2010 - DeDuplication Folder pvlsvr.exe hang

Created: 19 Mar 2010 • Updated: 26 Sep 2010 | 1 comment

Hey all,

I've just upgraded my 2008 SP2 64-bit server from 12.5 SP2 to 2010 without issue. My existing jobs, catalogues, etc all work and my tape drive & B2D folder also continue to work.

So I thought I'd try a DeDuplication folder. I was able to create it, but then pvlsvr.exe starts using a whole CPU (Backup Exec Device & Media Serivce) the moment I start a job. Once I quit the job, even restarting the services, etc it goes straight back to using 1 CPU. The job running to the device is just queued waiting and never runs. The job in question is just a backup of the backup server itself, so nothing unusual. I've applied all 3 hotfixes for 2010 from Symantec, and the issue remains.

So my questions are:

1. Anyone seen this issue, or know of a fix?
2. When creating a DeDuplication folder, it references creating debug logs at a specific level. Where are these logs created?

Any help would be welcome!

Thanks.

Comments 1 CommentJump to latest comment

RahulG's picture

Ty to re-create the De-duplication Storage Folder.
Right click on the Server Name and click Create De-duplication Storage Folder.
Type the name, select the Storage path and Database path.

Backup Exec supports a maximum of 50 Remote Agents with Direct Access. If more than 50 are added, the issue above may occur when restarting the services