Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2010 & NDMP

Created: 04 Mar 2011 • Updated: 16 Mar 2011 | 7 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hello to all,

Can somebody help me with the below issue?

I am using Backup Exec 2010 and i have an LTO5 IBM library connected to Netapps, (where we keep the user home folders) i am using the NDMP option and everything is working fine so far, apart from the fact that i haven't managed to take a differential backup. no matter what i choose "level-0", "level-1", "level-2" i am always getting a full backup.

what am i doing wrong is there any other setting or option i have to select so that i can make a differential backup?

Thanks in Advance

Michalis

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

Sush...'s picture

Refer to this technote

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH78308 : NDMP incremental backup job of a folder takes big amount of data as big as the full backup if selection list for the full backup is not applied to the incremental backup

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

michalisk's picture

Hello Sush,

This is an article from 2009! this means that until now the issue is not solved?

But further to that my question is how to do Differential Backups using NDMP?

Is there such an option?

Sush...'s picture

try to create both the jobs in the same policy and then apply that policy to the single selection list which has your NDMP selection.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

michalisk's picture

Dear Sush,

Unfortunately i am not using policies to create jobs,

let's say i took my level-0 backup on Saturday (full using NDMP) and tomorrow Wednesday i want to take a differential, now if i want to create the job for tomorrow, what should i select in the NDMP options to take a differential (from last full)? should i select level-1?

Thanks in advance for your help

Sush...'s picture

We can not perform Differential backups of NDMP. It will always be Full and Incremental.

So ones you take a Level-0 (Full) backup , next you should select Level-1 (Incremental).

Thanks,

-Sush...

michalisk's picture

Dear Sush,

I did the below test and it worked perfectly:

Firstly as you said the incremental cannot be applied on a folder but only on a volume, ok thats acceptable.

Then i did a full backup on Saturday and every day since then i am doing an incremental (level-1), the results are exactly the same as you do a differential.

so this problem has been resolved,

i have one more last question!

If i want to have a COPY backup using NDMP what should i do?

Thanks a lot

Michalis

Sush...'s picture

Its nice to see that the backups are working. Great. Well the answer to your last query is the same from one of  my above post that " Only Full and Incremental backups can be performed for NDMP option".

If your issue is resolved then may I ask you to mark the appropriate response which has helped you most to resolve the issue as Solution.

Thanks,

-Sush...

SOLUTION