Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2010 nutzt nicht max. Kapazität

Created: 14 Oct 2013 • Updated: 04 Nov 2013 | 11 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Moin,

folgendes Problem:

Ich nutze Backup Exec 2010 mit allen verfügbaren Updates und scheinbar weigert sich die Software die maximale Kapazität meiner Tapes zu beschreiben. Es bleiben immer ca. 30GB ungenutzt. Es wird versucht auf LTO-4 Bänder mit 800GB/1.600GB zu schreiben, und wenn ich mir in der Medienübersicht dann die Daten ansehe nutzt er bei allen Bändern nur 750 von 780 GB. Woran kann das liegen?

Auf einem anderen Server nutze ich Backup Exec 11d und hier werden die Bändern komplett beschrieben.

Weiß jemand eine Lösung ?

Dirk

Operating Systems:

Comments 11 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi,

Possibly a compression problem. If it's not getting compression, then it's not fifting more data onto the drive, and theoretically it can only fit 750GB for whatever reason.

You'[re obviously using the latest Symantec drivers for the drive, and the firmware is up-to-date on the drive itself?

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

DirkSmit's picture

Hi CraigV,

the drive is (obviously ;-) still in the same state as we got it. Original FW on library and drive.

After reading the FW Changes i didn't find any changes in the behavior of the drive access.

I will do a FW update on Lib and Drive as soon as my current job is through anyway to solve that question.

ET_LT40_Info.JPG

ET_LT40_Drive_Info.JPG

DirkSmit's picture

Ok, i just finished the FW Update of the System (Library AND drives) but how can i tell BE that the FW has changed?

CraigV's picture

It's done more from a hardware perspective. Run either a Catalog job or an Inventory job and see if BE now reports correctly, or uses as much of the tape as possible.

Thanks!

DirkSmit's picture

No change - Changer and Drive show still the old FW-Version.

After reinitializing the whole Library the tapes still show a remaining capacity of 30GB, and BE says no further data can be written (Media full).

ET_LT40_Tape.JPG

CraigV's picture

...could be that your data is not compressing. Either it can't, or there is a compression issue. Download HP Library and Tape Tools (HP LTT) and do a write test after stopping the BE services.

See if it fills up the tape to the maximum. Then do a compression test and see what you get. You need free tapes for this.

Thanks!

DirkSmit's picture

I ran jobs with and without compression and still the tape usage was the same.

Additionaly the tapes are filled with up to 1.8 TB of data, so the compression should not be the issue. The weird thing is, that the used capacity only varies by a few 100 MB between tapes, regardless of compression.

The suggested tool works with my Fujitus Library?

CraigV's picture

...honestly not sure. You will have to check the Fujitsu website.

I saw HP2 in the 1 screenshot and assumed you were using an HP unit.

Thanks!

DirkSmit's picture

Hi,

after some tinkering with the Library i finaly see the updated Firmware on my Library and both Drives.

But still BE shows the Tapes at 750 of 780GB with a "Medium Full" message.

Could it be a configuration error in my BE2010 installation? Is there somewhere an option, that brings this behavior?

It's just the question if this a bug or a feature...

Dirk

Lothar Müller's picture

I saw this often in my environments over the last years.

For me it was never a big problem because I think it is a calculating or display problem and the amount isn't really promematic at the actual Tape capacities.

The differences is growing in tape capacity and is addicted to tape technology (DLT or LTO)

My appreciation: It's a minor bug which do not effect real capacity of the tapes.

Lothar

If this helped you to solve your problem, please mark this post as solution for this case.

SOLUTION
DirkSmit's picture

The weird thing is, that i do only see this behaviour with this installation. My other installation is using BE 11d with a different Library and there the tapes are used in full.

Would by nice if something like this would be documented...