Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2010 & Quantum LTO 5 Tape Drive

Created: 10 Feb 2014 | 6 comments

I have;

HP Proliant DL38G6 (Intel Xeon 2.67GHz, 12GB Memory)

Windows Server 2008 (x64) SP2

Backup Exec 2010 SP1 (+ Hotfixes)

Quantum LTO 5 (Table Top Unit)

ATTO ExpressSAS H644 Host Adapter (supplied with the LTO 5 Drive).

I am backup up the this server plus 2 other servers.

Does anybody have any "optimum" setting for using LTO 5 drives with Backup Exec 2010?

Operating Systems:

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

Laurie_Downey's picture

I would recommend running live update and installing the latest Symantec drivers and firmware for your device. I would also consider upgrading at a minimum to Backup Exec 2010 R3 or to the latest version of Backup Exec 2012.  You can refer to the following document for more information on how to run the TAPE.EXE from Backup Exec to install the latest Symantec drivers.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO22788

Laurie Downey

Backup Exec

Advanced Tech Support

Symantec Corporation

www.symantec.com

Dave-H's picture

Laurie,

Thanks. I am up to date with patches/drivers. What about block size/buffer size? I am running with defaults at the moment. Also, should I switch off hardware/software compression as I om only backing up 800GB to a 1.5/2.0TB tape? Are you aware of any specific perfomance improvements in 2010R3 or 2012 that would help me or is it just a matter of adoping a policy of keeping up with the latest versions generally?

pkh's picture

What optimum settings are I you looking for?

Laurie_Downey's picture

Dave H,

Sorry for the delayed response. I would advise an upgrade to Backup Exec 2010 R3 as it fixed many known issues within the earlier versions of Backup Exec, and provides better performance overall. I do not advise using compression if it is not needed, for the size of your job you mentioned seems small enough and compression should not be needed.

I think as you indicated, the best way to keep things optimal is by keeping up to date, proper configuration for media management and setting the job properties accordingly. You can also refer to the link below for specific on Backup Exec 2010.

Best Practices for Backup Exec 2010: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126401

Laurie Downey

Backup Exec

Advanced Tech Support

Symantec Corporation

www.symantec.com