Video Screencast Help

Backup Exec 2010 R2 not responding

Created: 03 May 2013 • Updated: 26 Jun 2013 | 5 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Backup Exec 2010 R2 hangs after trying to start the application. I suppose my only solution is to restart the BE Services in Windows server. Which BE services need to be restarted and in what sequence? Also can someone send me a link to R3 upgrade, LiveUpdate gives me only option to upgrade to 2012 version. I do also have a full DVD of the BE 2010 R3, when I try to run it, it just gives me an option to instal the R3 version. Can I use it to upgrade my current version of BE? If yes, would that require a Windows Server 2008 R2 reboot at the end of installation? Thx

Operating Systems:

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi,

Please find the link for BE 2010 R3 below:

http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

Download the ISO and burn/mount. Once done, copy the Data/Catalogs folders (stop the BE services first!) and run the installation.

Once done, run LiveUpdate to install BE 2010 R3 SP2 and any additional patches, and then push-install these patches to any remote servers you might have.

Try opening the application then.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

SOLUTION
AndreyS's picture

Craig, thanks again for your reply, but I'm unable to stop BE services from the application itself because it hangs when I try to start it. However I can stob all 7 BE services running in Windows Server. I was just wondering if there is a specific sequence I need to follow to stop these 7 services associated with BE? Thx

Sush...'s picture

Hello Andrey,

You can stop the service in any manner as it will automatically stop the service which is dependent on that prior to stopping the one which you have chosen.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

Sush...'s picture

Hello Andrey,

I do also have a full DVD of the BE 2010 R3, when I try to run it, it just gives me an option to instal the R3 version.

You can use this DVD for upgrading to BE 2010 R3. During the installation it will automatically detect that BE 2010 R2 is present on the server and it will upgrade to BE 2010 R3. 

Nowhere in the installation option there is any button saying "Upgrade"... it just says "Install" though in the process it will give a page that R2 is detected and will be upgraded to R3.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

Colin Weaver's picture

Just for info LiveUpdate can only be used to patch within a specific version/build of Backup Exec - upgrades between versions always require a manual download (or the original DVD of the newer version)