Video Screencast Help

Backup exec 2010 R3 on 10Gig LAN

Created: 04 Dec 2012 • Updated: 19 Dec 2012 | 2 comments
beaumont1's picture
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi all,

currently we have our BE2010R3 environment running on 1GB LAN. We are looking for reduce backup windows and improve backup rate. We have 3 media server writing on a DD640. Management is asking for evaluating an network infrastructure upgrade to 10Gb on all clients/media server/data domain.

My question is, is Backup Exec able to handle a 10Gb backup stream? Will we get a real improvement? My guess is that maybe a new media server and a new backup device is the better solution. What is the reccomended number of media server and parallel running backup jobs for a BE server?

Many thanks

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi,

BE can handle a SAN-based backup so there is no reason for it to not handle a 10GB network. It would simply send data as fast as the media server could receive it.

No real recommendation, but on 1 of my sites I had 1 media server (HP ProLiant DL385 G5 with 8GB RAM) backing up 28 servers in 3 jobs at the same time to an HP StorageWorks MSL6060 (no SAN backups, all across a 1GB LAN) and had no issues.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

SOLUTION
mboyle's picture

In our environtment, teaming 4 NICs to achieve a bandwidth of 4Gb/s did not help in reducing backup windows or increase the job rate.  It actually made it worse.  Take in to consideration the storage device's disk setup: RAID, SATA/SAS throughput.  I am not familiar with the DD640 so I cannot comment on it, but for others reading this post, take all facets of the backup process in to consideration. 

Our bottleneck is the RAID 5 3Gbs SATA drives that has/had upwards of 8 jobs writing and verifying against one volume group at a time.