Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

backup exec 2010 R3

Created: 01 Oct 2013 | 5 comments

Hi,

I have an issue with a backup library and BE2010 R3. I have tried everything I have seen on the internet. I get to the point of the tape going to the drive on the library and it gets to "in use" then the jobs gets "queued" and nothing else happens.

Reinstalling drivers. Tapeinst

Restarting server and library several times.

I had to extract the tape several times from the drive using the web interface on the tandberg library.

I have upgrade the library firmware just in case.

 

Any suggestions? It must be a glitch?

Thanks, 

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

Donald Eady's picture

what is the make and model of the library and drive?

I hope this posting was helpful

  

lmosla's picture

You mentioned you have restarted the server and library but have you done a full power cycle?

  • 1. Power Off the Server
  • 2. Power off the Tape Drive
  • 3. Power on the Tape Drive to a 'Ready' State
  • 4. Power on the Server
also do you see any errors in Windows System events?
porress's picture

Thanks. I will give that a go and see if that works. I will let you know.

 

pkh's picture

Run the tape manufacturer's diagnostic utility against the tape library/drive.  Make sure you select the write test and that you have stopped all the BE services beforehand.

Even if the diagnostics pass and your tape keep getting stuck in the tape drive, you should get the tape drive replaced.  Tape getting stuck in the tape drive is a sign of impending tape drive failure.

porress's picture

I have tried the power cycle and it did not work.

It continues to get the tape in the drive and it says "drive seeking" on the library and "in used" on Backup Exec. Once it gets to this stage I have to try different things (restart the server, restart the library, try the library web interface tools) to get the tape moved out of the drive into a slot. It looks like the software locks the tape in there and it is difficult to stop this "drive seeking" and move the tape.

I will try the HP tape tool with a write test and see it that works.

 

Thanks,