Video Screencast Help
Protect Your POS Environment Against Retail Data Breaches. Learn More.

Backup Exec 2010- R3 Agent Oracle on Linux - RHEL 5.8

Created: 13 Dec 2012 • Updated: 03 Feb 2013 | 1 comment
This issue has been solved. See solution.

What is it with Symantec Tech Support! I get conflicting information on their support for Oracle Agent on Linux RHEL. I have at least 1 Test server that is running  Oracle11GR2 that is on a  RHEL 5.8 server and it works for backups. I have another environment that is exactly set up the same way,  and it cannot backup the oracle DB's. Tech Support says Oh no we don't support RHEL 5.8. You need to go to RHEL 6.0. Well,  i can't go to 6.0 since my vendor's software apps cannot run on RHEL6. First I was told the oracle agent is not supported in RAC which is my production servers on RHEL 5.8. Wound up just using RMAN on that environment.  Now I am getting 5.8 is completely not supported because of some security patch that get's applied to 5,8 which Symantec can't even tell me what it is.

I am really getting frustrated with Backup Exec at this point. I have downloade BE 2012 at this point, but I am not willing to go to it right now. I have heard nothing but nightmares about it. Does anyone know of BE 2012 will work with RHEL and Oracle 11GR2 agent. I can't seem to get a straight answer from Symantec on this.

At this point, I'm ready to ditch the whole product and find another backup pgm for Oracle. Symantec just doesn't cut it for Oracle backups.  Anyone have a suggestion for Oracle Backups in Linux environment? Thanks.

Comments 1 CommentJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

There are 2 things unsupported in your environment.

1) RHEL 5.8 - BE 2010 only support up till 5.7

2) Oracle 11g R2 is not supported on the Linux platform, only Windows.  This includes RAC.

See the SCL below

BE 2010|2010 R2|2010 R3 Software (SCL)

BE 2012 will support Oracle 11g R2 on the Linux platform, but it does not support RHEL 5.8.  It does support RHEL 6.0 - 6.2

See the SCL below

BE 2012 SCL

SOLUTION