Video Screencast Help

Backup Exec 2010 R3 Backup to Disk offsite? Deduplication?

Created: 04 Aug 2011 • Updated: 04 Aug 2011 | 2 comments

Hey Guys,

I am involved with IT at a local software company. We are currently in the process of transitioning from Backup Exec 12, to Backup Exec 2010 R3.

We currently use a Adic Scaler with one LTO2 Drive and a LTO3 Drive. Our weekly cost of LTO tapes is upwards of $1000 a week.

We would like to eliminate Tape backups if we can. Due to legal issues, we are required to send copies of our exchange server to an offsite storage site.

Now my question is, We are located in Los Angeles, here in La we have a media server running Windows 2k3 which is connected to multiple remote agents.

We also have a data center in Texas, the data center has a few Puredisks currently not in use.

How can we use the Puredisks in Dallas as a remote backup location useing Deduplication in Backup Exec 2010 R3.

Ideally we would like to use GRT and Deduplication on our exchange server and some file servers, is this possible? It seems to me from what I have been reading that to use Deduplication, the media server is the one that has to have the space for the backup. Is this correct? can I not backup to a remote location? Would I really need enough space on my media server(currently 2 300Gb drives mirrored) to store the backup(multiple TB)

I was hoping to seed a full backup once to the backup location in Dallas, and then have incrementals from there on out, hopefully using Block level Deltas and GRT to be able to restore individual mailboxes/messages

Does any one have experience in this? I apprieciate the help in advance.

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

dedupe-works's picture

Not having localized storage in LA is going to make this difficult at best.

Regards.

Randey

teiva-boy's picture

Why can't you ship over both PureDisk units, and backup to one of them, and configure replication to the other.  Seed the data, verify that replication is working...

Then ship the replicated partner to TX.

To do this I do think you still need to purchase the Dedupe option in BackupExec, just for the priveldge of backing up to PureDisk.  IF only PureDsk would allow a CIFS target like all the other Dedupe products on the market...

There is an online portal, save yourself the long hold times. Create ticket online, then call in with ticket # in hand :-) http://mysupport.symantec.com "We backup data to restore, we don't backup data just to back it up."