Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2010 R3 Backup to USB rotation disk keeps filling up

Created: 03 Dec 2013 | 3 comments

Hello again everybody,

I have 3 different USB hard drives that I swap out in a weekly rotation to perform backup to disk operations on this SBS 2011 server. I only have 1 drive on the server at any given time.  I swap out the USB drives on Friday, then perform a full backup and then differentials in between until the next Friday.  The problem I am running into is that even though I have "overwrite media" setup on all jobs (full and differential) being performed the devices continue to fill up.  

I also have overwrite protection set to 0 Hours as well as  Append period  to 1 hour  for the Media set property on each job.  Thus, I would guess it should overwrite whatever is on the USB disk when the backup occurs (which it doesn't)  I have a low disk threshold set to 50G at which the job will be suspended.  Even when I started with empty USB drives, they eventually filled up and then I have to manually delete backup files from the external drives in order to free up space.  Is there anything I can do to make this work without having to constantly delete old backups from these disks manually?

Thanks a lot for any help!

Jim

Operating Systems:

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

Go to Tools ---> Options and set the following options

BE 2010 - Media Management.png

You should not set the OPP to 0 hr because it does not protect any of your backup sets.  You might as well don't do any backups.  Set the OPP is a reasonable period.

However, you should set the AP to 1 hr and set your job to overwrite.  There is no advantage in appending to disk media.

jimvman's picture

Thanks pkh for the advice,

You are absolutely correct.  I had changed the settings on the OPP to try to resolve this.  I have changed it back to 1 week now and possibly 2 weeks when I resolve this. 

I discovered what the issue might be.  I looked at the individual jobs again, and discovered that under Device and Media the media set was "Keep Data for 2 weeks".  This was setup some time ago by someone else.  This may be the issue (hopefully).  I changed the media set to something else that only keeps data for 1 week then clears the overwrite protection.

I'm hoping this might resolve the issue.  All my other settings were as you posted.

Thanks,

Jim

pkh's picture

Make sure that you are not appending to the disk media.  Otherwise, the protection period would be extended.