Video Screencast Help
Protect Your POS Environment Against Retail Data Breaches. Learn More.

Backup Exec 2010 R3 Deduplication, Existing B2D and Job Structure

Created: 14 Dec 2012 • Updated: 14 Dec 2012 | 2 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi all,

I have been reading up about the deduplication option and I am in need of a little clarification.

Existing Structure:

I am running Backup Exec 2010 R3 on a Dell DL2100 + MD1000 storage with Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard x64 SP1. There are 3 Virtual Disk configured with 1.36TB each.

Job Setup:

I have 4 Full Jobs setup as follows (there are also 4 matching incremental jobs):

AD + Fileshares B2D Virtual Disk 1

Exchange B2D Virtual Disk 1

Support B2D Virtual Disk 2

Development B2D Virtual Disk 3

Where I am getting lost is how I would setup the deduplication folder. You can only have one dedup folder per media server correct? So what would I need to do to setup deduplication with my current setup?

I am also ready to upgrade to BE2012 and don't mind if I have to completely re setup the hardware If that is a better solution. I am just confused on what the correct setup would be.

Thank you in advance

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

You can only have one dedup folder per media server correct?

This is correct.

what would I need to do to setup deduplication with my current setup?

You would would need to purchase the dedup option and define your dedup folder.  You then point your jobs to the dedup folder.  You might want to see the document below on the CPU and memory requirements.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO21767

I don't think you should use a virtual disk for the dedup folder.  It would be better to dedicate an entire physical volume for the dedup folder

Upgrading to BE 2012 bring some new features to dedup, but it would not change the dedup setup requirements much.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74446

SOLUTION
mhartman's picture

Excellent! Thank you for the extremly clear and quick response. I was unclear on how the disk needed to be setup and where to point the jobs. So then with everything writing to one volume I could just create jobs to run my offsite backups.