Video Screencast Help

Backup exec 2010 r3 error: 0xe0001201

Created: 14 Dec 2011 • Updated: 15 Dec 2011 | 6 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hello,

I have backup media server running 2008 r2 with exec 2010 r3 installed. My goal is to backup a Windows 2008 r2 hyper-v host with 2 Linux VMs on it.

My media server is in workgroup, and my hyper-v host is in a Windows domain. I have licenses "Backup Exec 2010", "agent for MS Hyper-V" and "Remote Agent for Windows and NetWare Servers" installed.

But I got error when tring to backup remote hyper-v host:

================================

Job ended: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 at 12:58:20 PM
 Completed status: Failed
 Final error: 0xe0001201 - For this operation, the Backup Exec Virtual File Filter (VFF) driver must be installed on the media server.  The VFF driver is installed when you install any of the following Backup Exec agents or options:

Exchange Agent
 Active Directory Recover Option
 VMware Virtual Infrastructure Agent
 Microsoft Virtual Server Agent
 Final error category: Resource Errors

=================================

Since I don't need  to backup domain settings on hyper-v host, I wonder how to solve this issue without installig additional agent.

Thank you very much!

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

VJware's picture

from the backup job properties window, ensure "Enable the restore of individual objects from Active Directory backups" is unchecked from Active Directory option....

nanny2's picture

Thank you VJware for the information.

But the problem is that I cuold not see "Active Directory option" listed in the properties windows, unless I install "Active Directory Recovery Agent", which is not what I want.

Striker 303's picture

Go to backup job properties, look for Hyper -V  tab and uncheck GRT option under it

Above error can occur if you are trying to backup linux VM's, using hyper V option.

BE do not provide GRT for Vm's running non-win OS.

SOLUTION
nanny2's picture

Thank you so much! unchecked GRT option did the trick.

now the error message is gone, backup job completed with exceptions:
V-79-57344-38732 - Virtual machine 'srv1' does not meet the requirements necessary for Backup Exec to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup.

V-79-57344-38725 - One or more virtual disks contain volumes that do not support Granular Recovery Technology (GRT). Granular restores cannot be performed for these volumes.

Is there any way to get ride of the warning?

Thank you for your help

VJware's picture

I guess the only way to get rid of this warning is to backup these Linux VMs using the RALUS agent :)

Striker 303's picture

First execption might go away if you disable application GRT as well

under backup job properties - Hyper V  tab -uncheck GRT and application level GRT :

You may have to live with 2nd execptions.