Video Screencast Help

Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP 2 problem

Created: 16 Jul 2012 • Updated: 18 Feb 2014 | 8 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hello,

Ever since a power outage we have been getting error messages during our backups.

Here is a sample:

Backup
V-79-57344-65084 - Before you can back up this resource (CGRCFPS\BKUPEXEC), you must purchase and install a license key for the appropriate Backup Exec agent.

The server mentioned above is the server BE is installed

License Violation A Remote Agent for Windows Systems license is required for protecting remote servers with this edition of Backup Exec.

I am receiving these messages for a number of servers where the remote agent is installed and verified during the installation of agents on other computers wizard and they show up as verified.

When I run the Install Options and License keys on the media server under Licensed agents and options I see listed Agent for MS Exchange and MS SQL but they are checked with an unselectable light green check mark, like they are set by default. So it looks like the agents are installed.

I am not seeing any errors when I ran BEdiags, I have restatred the services and the entire server.

I am stumped at this point.

When I went to do a test backup my resorce list is empty and if I click All Resources it states Not selectable for backup but all my resources are gone even the local server files where the software is installed.

Thank you

Discussion Filed Under:

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi,

remove the agent licenses and reinstall them. You can also try creating a new backup job just with the BEDB of this server that's giving you issues and see if you get the same error. If not, create a new selection list from scratch and assign it to your backup jobs.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

reagncgrc's picture

Thanks Craig, forgot to mention I did remove the agent license and reinstalled. Here's where part of it get shaky, I setup this server a while ago but I don't recall installing the Exchange and SQL agents, I searched my email for the license docs but only found my BE licenses. I know I have been backing up my Exchange and SQL servers because I have restored mailboxes and the SQL database once this year. I have my vendor asking Symantec for a license review. Is it possible the licenses were never installed? I'm starting to confuse myself. Anyway i will try you other suggestion. Not sure if I know how to use BEDB? I'll google it.

Thanks,

Jay

CraigV's picture

...it is possible that the Symantec licenses for those agents weren't installed, but you'd have a limited trial period and it would state that you need to now install the license as the trial period has expired.

Try this though: Unless you really need to backup the BEDB on the media server, deselect it in the selection list. You can always back up the bedb.bak file which is the nightly automated backup of the BEDB which runs at 4AM. Then see if you get the same error.

Thanks!

reagncgrc's picture

I don't know for sure, my memory is gone!  I thought of that trial l;icense too but the temp license would have expired long ago, this server's been up since Nov 2011. Will try other suggestion and post back.

Jay

pkh's picture

CGRCFPS\BKUPEXEC is the SQL instance for the BEDB.  You don't have to back it up.  BE does its own database maintenance and backup daily, by default, at 4 a.m.

The possibility that that you only purchase 1 SQL agent licence.  The BEDB normally resides on the media server and the your SQL databases are normally on a different machine.  In this case, to backup the BEDB you need 2 SQL agent licences,  SQL agent licences are on a per machine basis.  Since you are short of 1 SQL licence, you get the error message.  To solve the problem, de-select the CGRCFPS\BKUPEXEC instance from your backup.

reagncgrc's picture

Update,

Okay I found why my resource list was not being populated, I had to reset a password for one of the login accounts so that issue is resolved.

I remove cgrcfps\backupexec from the backup list.

I removed and reinstalled the remote computer agents and they are all getting recognized as installed, However my jobs are still ending with the same errors,

License Violation A Remote Agent for Windows Systems license is required for protecting remote servers with this edition of Backup Exec.

I was under the impression that remote licenses were part of the core product license. Has something changed with SP 2?

As I stated bedore this all of a sudden stop working when the server recovered from a power outage. Up until that time the backup jobs were running as is, backing up files from 5 remote servers and my Exchange and SQL databases. They have been running for over 9 months so if I was dealing with temp licenses they would have expired by now.

I am completely stumped.

Other things I have tried, removed license and reinstalled licenses, created a new selection list, reinstalled all agents on remote servers.

Any other ideas?

Thank you

pkh's picture

The core BE licence comes with 1 RAWS licence which is for backing up the media server itself.  For any other remote server/device, you would need 1 RAWS licence per server/device.  Make sure your number of RAWS licences corresponds with the number of remote servers/devices that you are trying to back up.  Go to Help ---> About and click on the Licencing Informaion button to check on the number of RAWS that you are licenced for.

SOLUTION
CraigV's picture

Mmm...that doesn't sound right. Your RAWS agents are technically paper licenses for x-amount of servers, and you'd load a license key to enable it for remote servers. I've never installed 15 RAWS licenses on a site with 15 remote servers, but we comply with licensing requirements.

Check the TN below and run through it on a server giving you hassles. This will ensure you completely remove the RAWS agent. Once done, push-install it.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67216

Then check to see if it works.

Also, the Remote Agent for WIndows Servers must be selected under the license keys on the media server, so check to see if this is true...

SOLUTION