Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP3 - VMware Backup and Exchange 2010 GRT - supported?

Created: 08 Jan 2014 • Updated: 09 Jan 2014 | 3 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.
Hi,

as I haven't found the information anywhere documented:

Is Backup Exec 2010R3 SP3 supported with a VMware GRT Backup and Exchange 2010 SP3 installed?

We have tried installing and backing up - but we get the following message:

Backup Exec failed to snap one or more virtual machines and was unable to collect the necessary metadata to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of applicatin data from this backup. refer to the job log for more information.

Any information if this should work is very appreciated - Thanks!
Operating Systems:

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

FPeter's picture

Hi Craig,

thanks - great to hear that it is supported and should work. Your articles are interesting because TECH141982 states if you have any problems, disable GRT and do a normal Agent Backup of Exchange and it states that this issue will not be fixed in Backup Exec 2010 but with the next major release.

So when I read the article I think Backup Exec 2010 will not work and we should upgrade to Backup Exec 2012
Anyway - thanks, we are fine with that answer.

CraigV's picture

Not a problem, but make sure you've done your homework BEFORE upgrading to BE 2012...it is fundamentally different to any previous version.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...