Video Screencast Help
Symantec Appoints Michael A. Brown CEO. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2010 R3 - SQL TLogs Backup

Created: 12 Sep 2012 | 4 comments

I being getting these expection messages ever since I upgraded Backup Exec from 12.5 to 2010 R3 for all databases

Backup- WebApplication\Content-DB 1 (servername\SharePoint_AdminContent_68a66b9a-ffc2-4e8c-9618-fb1eba9d1221)V-79-40960-37914 - Database SharePoint_AdminContent_68a66b9a-ffc2-4e8c-9618-fb1eba9d1221 is configured to maintain transaction logs.  Transaction log backups are not being performed.  This will result in the log growing to fill all available disk space.  Regular log backups should be scheduled or the database should be changed to the simple recovery mode.

I setup a job to perform TLogs backup but it keeps failing with following error

(Server: "LXPNYBKP") (Job: "LTO3_FO SQL TLog") LTO3_FO SQL TLog -- The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec SQL Agent was not used to create the last full, differential, or log backup of this database. You must use the SQL Agent to run a full backup before you can run a differential backup or transaction log backup.

Beside backup exec backup, I also use SQL Native backup using SQL maintanence plans. I backup all DBs every night (it creates a *.BAK file) and TLog every hour (it created *.TRN file). The full back truncates the transaction log file. So Tlog file growing is not a problem.

The issue is pretty anonying, I did not have this issue in Backup Exec 12.5 with same setup. I really do not want to get rid of SQL native backup as it just a second backup copy.

Any suggestion?

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

Ben L.'s picture

Use the registry key in the bottom of this technote to turn off that exception.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...

If this response answers your concern, please mark it as a "solution"

rsiddiqi's picture

Thanks Ben. So this reg key update will go to SQL servers. Does it require a reboot? Thanks

Ben L.'s picture

You'll want to put it on the SQL Servers and the Media Servers.  It does not require a reboot, but you will need to restart the Backup Exec services.

If this response answers your concern, please mark it as a "solution"