Video Screencast Help
Protect Your POS Environment Against Retail Data Breaches. Learn More.

Backup Exec 2010 R3 system state and scratch tape issues

Created: 03 Jan 2013 | 11 comments

I am having two issues with my daily backup.  I am backing up three servers (I'll user 1, 2, and 3 for identification); Server 1 has Backup Exec 2010 r3 installed and Server 2 and Server 3 have the remote agent installed.

The first issue is that when I backup a Server 2, the backup fails on the system state of the server.  When I supstitute Server 3 the backup runs perfectly.  It only seems to hang on Server 3  I have made sure that the Remote Agent on both Servers 2 and 3 are the same, but I get the same results everytime I add Server 2 to the daily backup.  I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the agent on Server 2 several times, but the results are the same.  I can run a test on the daily backup with all the servers added and it appears to run fine.

The second issue I have is that when my daily backup calls for a scratch tape, I can load one that is assinged to the daily backup pool and it just sits there until I cancel the job.  I have let the job sit for basically 24 hours and it just sits there with no sing of backing up anything.  I have noticed that it appears to hang on Server 2 system state.

Does anyone have any ideas I can try?

Comments 11 CommentsJump to latest comment

Gurvinder Rait's picture

What errors do you get in the first case ?

For the second Issue ensure the tapes are put in scratch media set

whitehurstge's picture

I am getting this message,

e000ff15 - A communication failure has occured with the system state resource.

I also have seen this error:  Job recovered as a r result of Backup Exec RPC service restarting.  No intervention required.

I assumed that the scratch tapes could be in the same Daily pool as the other tapes.  I have changed this.  I have always placed my backup and scratch tapes in one pool with no issues.  May I ask why place scratch tapes into a scratch pool?

pkh's picture

When you put a tape in the scratch media set, it immediately becomes overwritable.  If you leave it in other media sets, then it will only become overwritable when its OPP expires.  In your case, it looks like the OPP is not set correctly so your tape is still not overwritable when it is needed.

CraigV's picture

Hi,

Check to make sure that any AV running on that server isn't perhaps blocking beremote.exe. If so, put in an exclusion for it and check again.

For the second issue, if you have an autoloader/tape library, it need to have a mail slot designated if you are pulling in a tape. Otherwise putting a tape into the autoloader won't get that tape detected properly.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

whitehurstge's picture

Thanks CraigV.  I'll add that as an exception and change the A/V scan to something much later.  We're not using an autoloader thankfully.

Gurvinder Rait's picture

For communication failure try to make the changes in the Technote on server whose system state backup is failing and see if it helps : http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH197934

CraigV's picture

Not sure what TCP Offload has to do with a System State failure? It's not failure of the network...angry

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

whitehurstge's picture

Well I made a change to the Anti-virus scan so that it runs later on and I followed the I/O hotfix from Microsoft and it has been working since 01/07.  It will call for a scratch tape, but at least now it seems to take only an hour or so to complete the backup successfully.  I hope this has resolved the issue.

srinivas_medida's picture

Have you checked the version of Beremote.exe on the remote server it should not be higher version than the media server and also perform credential test does it complete successfully, then  perform chkdisk on the c:\ Drive of remote server (Server 2) check whether there is any error on the C:\ drive.

IF your scratch  media is not getting overwritten ensure that you have selected the option overwrite scratch media before overwriting recyclable media contained in the targeted media set. from Tool-Option-Media Management.

whitehurstge's picture

After working fine for almost a week I received a failed backup and this error message:  e00084c8 - The backup storage device has failed.  This just seems to be a random occurnce, but it is quite annoying.

whitehurstge's picture

After looking at my logs, I got these errors.

[0652] 01/17/13 23:43:41 Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: 05:00:06:00 - Device error 1117 on "\\.\Tape0", SCSI cmd 08, 1 total errors

%2

%3

%4

%5

%6

%7

%8

[0652] 01/17/13 23:48:41 Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: 00:00:06:00 - Retry Logic: 2 TURs Failed on device: CERTANCE ULTRIUM 2

%2

%3

%4

%5

%6

%7

%8

Adamm Mover Error: Read Failure!

Error = ERROR_IO_DEVICE

Drive = "CERTANCE 0001"

{B8B580A5-280E-4954-BE43-F89B217F68A9}

Media = "Tape 19"

{5E74D841-A0BE-4652-90BE-90BA1CE852AC}

Read Mode: SingleBlock(0), ScsiPass(0)

Write Mode: SingleBlock(1), ScsiPass(1)

Storage device "CERTANCE 0001" reported an error on a request to read data from media.

Error reported:

The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

For more information, click the following link:

http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLo...

Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed

(Server: "AHEC4000") (Job: "Daily Backup") Daily Backup -- The job failed with the following error: The backup storage device has failed.

For more information, click the following link:

http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLo...