Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2010 + Tape Library - Not Rotating to next tape

Created: 27 Oct 2010 • Updated: 01 Nov 2010 | 8 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

We are currently running Backup Exec 2010 V 13.0 rev 2896 64bit with SP1.  We have a Dell PV124t LTO3 library with 16 tapes.    We rotated out all of our tapes with blank tapes, updated the media sets, etc.   However, for some reason, when the tape gets full, it will not rotate to the next tape in the set.  It simply sits there in queue.  If I cancel the job and restart it, it jumps to the next tape in the set with no issues.    All tapes are in the same media set.

I must be having a brainfart because I am missing something.  It would be great if someone could guide me toward the light. 

Thanks!

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

AmolB's picture

Hello

Check the alerts tab for any alert requesting for an overwritable media.

JoaoMatos's picture

Hi,

what you are trying to say is:

When a job occupies more than one tape, when the first tape is full, does not go to the following?

JoaoMatos

Regards,

JoaoMatos

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

JDG1977's picture

JoaoMatos... Exactly  .  However, if I cancel and restart the job, it automatically moves to the next tape.    This confuses me as if it automatically moves to the next tape in the media set after cancelling and restarting, why is it not doing it automatically.

Alerts:  Please insert overwritable media into the robotic lobrary using the import command.  Overwritable media includes, scratch, blank, and recyclable media.  

As I look now, there are 7 blank tapes in the Media set.

AmolB's picture

Move the tapes from the Media set to the scratch media.

Don't assign the tapes to any media set, let them be in the scratch media.

When the backup job will start BE will pick up the tape from the scratch media.

Once the job is completed the tape will the moved to the media set which is

associated with the backup job.

SOLUTION
JoaoMatos's picture

Did you run an Inventory?

Regards,

JoaoMatos

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

JDG1977's picture

Doink.. I am braindead!  AmolZeroCool... That seems to be working just fine.  I will keep an eye on this job and if all works, mark yours as the solution.