Video Screencast Help

Backup Exec 2010 with unbelivably slow backup speeds.

Created: 14 Apr 2010 • Updated: 17 Oct 2010 | 3 comments

1.Im running BE2010 on Win2008 R2. (fresh install of both the Operating system and BE2010)

2. I installed BE2010 3 weeks ago, configured it to backup a few SQL servers, Exchange 2003 and a file server.

3. I configured it to backup to a Backup to Disk folder, and the HDD it's backing up to is a SATA connected WD 1TB drive.

4. Everything was running fine for about 3 weeks.

5. Job rate averaged at 2500-3000mb/min, thus backing up all the servers we have within 6 hours! which was GREAT

6. All of a sudden, I get weird occurances like the job is stuck in QUEUE forever, then after deleting the job, and re-creating the job the backups were working fine again.

7. After the #6 incident was resolved, then came the super slow Job Rate speeds. Even now, if I start a backup job of the EXACT same servers, I get 40-100mb/min speed. (This is totally unacceptable)

I would like a proper explanation as to WHY this is happening, and how to fix it.

Thanks

Discussion Filed Under:

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

teiva-boy's picture

Perhaps you can do some troubleshooting to identify as to where the bottlenecks are, what kinds of loads you are seeing on the servers, retracting any changes you made to the server in the last 3 weeks, to isolate the culprit...

Then, after you have stated some troubleshooting steps with some findings, perhaps we'll have a remote chance at diagnosing the issue.

Other than, backups are fast and working, something barfed, and it's slow now, tell me why?  We are in the dark as much as you are.

Perhaps do a liveupdate, and repush out the RAWS agent to the clients and for good measure reboot?

There is an online portal, save yourself the long hold times. Create ticket online, then call in with ticket # in hand :-) http://mysupport.symantec.com "We backup data to restore, we don't backup data just to back it up."

cbuehl's picture

We detected some dependency on the number and size of files.
User profiles (many small files) run with appprox 300 MB/Min while big files (like VMWare Image Files) run with 4000 MB/Min. Typical data runs with 1100MB/Min) on a fast SAS RAID destination.

What we detected, is that this has neiter to do with the disk speed nor with the Processor load (which is less than 10 % in average). We can see only many page faults (even with 4 GB Main memory which are in use by 100% only running BE2010 locally). Additionally we detected a long read queue (average 3-5) on the destination Disk. (I would understand this if we had a long write queue, but it's on reading and its on a sperate disk where write the backup to.

However this effect started after running BE2010 for some time and was not obvious in previous versions of BackupExec..

We encountered that the speed per job does not become slower if we run several jobs parallel (measn we have 1 Job running with 300 MB/min while a secondary still runs wit 3-400 MB/min). Next week we will try to split our big job into 5 small jobs.