Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Backup Exec 2012 14.0 Rev 1798 (64-Bit) with DELL DR4000

Created: 12 Mar 2013 | 3 comments

Currently I am doing evaluation of Backup Exec 2012 and with DELL DR4000 as dedup appliance.

DR4000 was configured as OST (Open Storage Technolgy) and the plug in was installed on Windows 2008 R2 64-Bit running Backup Exec 2012 14.0 trial version with latest updates.

I'm wondering to know if someone could advise me how should the best configuration on backup options?

Operating Systems:

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

You can either use the archive bit or modified time method.  The modified time method may run slightly faster.

Did you purchase and install the dedup option on your media server?  Otherwise, you can only use your appliance as a ordinary disk.  If you have installed the dedup option and have define the appliance as an OST device in BE, you can then target your job (storage section) to this device.

Mange_24S's picture

As PKH mention, you can do either way. In version 2012 modified time is sort of standard and I always use that option for all my backups. The modified time used together with NTFS-journal when you backup windows servers will be faster when you take your diff/inc backups. BE Remote Agent will query the journal for changed files since a specific time and backup the resulting list of files.

Have you added the DR4000 already as an OST-device in BE? Just let me know if you encounter problems, have been using a couple of DR4000 for a while. I do recommend installing the latest hotfix starting with 201xxx for BE2012 since it solves a number of problems with storage devices.

cronosmachine's picture

Hi all thanks for replies. How about on the check boxes?

Yes I have installed the plug-in on the BE as OST-device as I mention earlier on my post.

DR4000 currently using version 1.1.1.0

Hi Mange,

What is your RAM configuration on yours for both BE Server and the protected server?