Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

backup exec 2012 and restoring .bkf file problem

Created: 20 Feb 2013 • Updated: 02 May 2013 | 4 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi,

Trying to restore .bkf file from a network disk and running to problems at the very start. When the restore starts it starts to restore the first file and restores about 200kb from it and then it just sits there... time goes on but no more is restored. What might be the problem?

 

-Server crashed and backup not cooperating

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

...are there any alerts present in the job? Where are you trying to restore too?

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

Gurvinder Rait's picture

Have you tried to copy the backups locally on the machine and then tried the restore ? What was the outcome ? If not tried then if you can attach a external harddrive and copy the backup to it (you would have to create a B2D and perform Inventory and catalog and then attempt the restore again)

EDIT :

The above is just a troubleshooting step.

pkh's picture

Are you trying to restore something from a .bkf file or as the title suggests, you are actually restoring a .bkf file?  If it is the latter, then you should not be backing up a .bkf file in the first place.  This is equivalent to copying a .bkf file which is not recommended.  See this document

Reasons why copying backup to disk data files is NOT recommended.

You should always duplicate your backup sets.

Dominus's picture

Hi again,

We copied the file to the server and started a new restore. It seemed to do the same go on for a little while and then just time went on, but we left the restore job open for the night and it had restored the files we wanted. It just took forever to go forward it was at 0% around 4 hours in and was done an hour later. So now we started a restore for the bigger part of the data(we restored around 12gb and now need the rest 400gb or so that will prolly take a while).

SOLUTION